slowth

What PC speakers to get?

Hey guys,

I'm a total noob to this hifi thingy...I've always just used my IEMs to listen to music through my Mac... but of course with such fantastic isolation I get scolded often when I dont respond to my folks or have things thrown at me to get my attention. So.. i thought I'd better invest in speakers so I can still hear others talking! haha I've never appreciated bad sound and I don't want to just get any ol speakers.. I don't mind saving and spending slightly more for good stuff. All I need is 2.1 or 2.0 set since my workspace is pretty small. I'm a noob so I dont know really wat's a sensible budget to have as of now.

I've read up abit over here and some online and so far these are the few options.

1) Creative gigaworks

a) T20 ($150+)

read not bad stuff about it but when I heard it today a soundport itself din seem enough to suffice. And the bass did distort abit when i cranked it up.

B) T40 ($240+)

It's new so I woudln't know what the rest of the world says. Sounds better than the 20.. but paying that much for a 2.0? what do you think?

2)Bose companion 2 ($199)

another 2.0 but it's bose and I'd like to give benefit of doubt.. that the shop was pretty noisy so i coudln't hear properly haha

3)HK soundsticks 2 ($289)

These were quite impressive when I heard them They are slightly more aggresive on the mids and trebles but the bass handled pretty well by the sub. Not to mention it looks darn cool! Read good stuff too.. although they do look slightly fragile...

4) Klipsch GMX 2.1 or ultimate 2.0

not much idea about these except that they look nice...

5) Acoustic Energy Aego M ($369)

Have not heard this live.. but this has gotten the best reviews by far on the net compared to the rest. Amazing how good a soound ppl can boast about thru such small speakers. Looks (weighs) pretty solid... looks are not bad... cute. But the sound's supposed to be fantastic. However... does 369 justify it?

As you can see.. i've no idea what benchmark to compare all these to. I don't know what's the industry standard of good speaker sound. cos all the while IEMs sound good cos of all the isolation.

So guys, I'd appreciate much reviews and advice!! thanks loads!!

signing off!!

noobie!

Edited by slowth

hmm. I'ver never heard of any of the other speakers but my sis has a bose companion 2 with her mac and I think it's actually not too bad, and worth an audition.

If I could tout the 'earphone' solution, you could actually get a pair of grados or a similarly open pair, which will allow you to hear ambient noise.

haha now we're into headphones! mmm don't think i'd invest in headphones la I think.I wouldn't wear it out and at home others can't listen to the music too.

but thanks for the suggestion!!!

mmm i've heard some of the 2.0 systems.. feel the bass isn't present enough? if you get what i mean..

My bro has a set of KRK mons at home already.. So i thought no point gettin mons. Instead, get something with a more happening sound since mons are for accuracy and can get abit boring... haha

not sure if u got the space, but a t-amp is pretty small and u can pair them with efficient bookshelf speakers.

even student budget bookshelf speakers sound better than most of the multimedia offerings out there.

if u r patient, can scout around for a good 2nd deal. ppl upgrade their hifi very often.

I've been using the Klipsch GMX A2.1 for 3 years. I paid $290 for them. Nice satellite, especially the tweeters.

They're not neutral sounding as the sub woofer is massive sounding. Not a bad speaker for games, for music, EQ tweaking is needed, especially in the mid-range for a warmer sound.

You can audition the Bose Companion 3 Series II, they are not too bad too.