Sign in to follow this  
bigcahuna

Headphone recommendations for noobs

Hi all

I'm new to this audiophile business, and was thinking of getting full-sized cans to listen at home. The source would be my Creative Zen Microphoto player, or my Dell laptop (horrible soundcard). Since I'm a student, I don't have much to spend on a good set of cans, or a high-grade CDP (although I do have a Rotel spinner, and a Denon amp, but I can't use them at the moment). Budget for cans would be about $140? And would I need a headamp to go along with the cans?

I'm considering changing my sound card as well, any PCMCIA/USB suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

u can save money on an amp by getting cans which are easy to drive. for your budget i would recommend the Goldring DR100. i prefer the 100 to the more exp DR150, it's not a harsh in the highs. plus the 32ohms is an easy drive and the cable is detachable so u can playaround with other snakes. last heard at Stereo E.

IPB Image

u can save money on an amp by getting cans which are easy to drive. for your budget i would recommend the Goldring DR100. i prefer the 100 to the more exp DR150, it's not a harsh in the highs. plus the 32ohms is an easy drive and the cable is detachable so u can playaround with other snakes. last heard at Stereo E.

IPB Image

Hi sghound, thanks for your reply :)

I was looking at Grado SR60s, read a lot of positive reviews about them. MBD at Adelphi seems to carry it? 32 ohm impedance as well, and i checked, the ZMP's rating is 32 ohms, enough to drive the sr60s. But I was wondering, is a headphone amp really necessary to boost SQ?

to improve USB sound from your computer try this: http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA4017.htm

i read many good things about it on another forum.

i think the $8 is a bit high though, it can be had for $4~ or less ('mega sale' price)?

or they might have raised the price.

your sr60 will not need amping to 'sing', already sounds good through headphone jack :)

Hi sghound, thanks for your reply :)

I was looking at Grado SR60s, read a lot of positive reviews about them. MBD at Adelphi seems to carry it? 32 ohm impedance as well, and i checked, the ZMP's rating is 32 ohms, enough to drive the sr60s. But I was wondering, is a headphone amp really necessary to boost SQ?

Grados are the other option but u might not like the comfort. they're supraaural cans which press against the ears. some heads/ears can take it, but others can't.

Goldrings are circumaural so they rest around the ears making them more comfortable.

i think it's best to try both for yourself rather than just reading reviews.

Hi all

I'm new to this audiophile business, and was thinking of getting full-sized cans to listen at home. The source would be my Creative Zen Microphoto player, or my Dell laptop (horrible soundcard). Since I'm a student, I don't have much to spend on a good set of cans, or a high-grade CDP (although I do have a Rotel spinner, and a Denon amp, but I can't use them at the moment). Budget for cans would be about $140? And would I need a headamp to go along with the cans?

I'm considering changing my sound card as well, any PCMCIA/USB suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Hi,

Since your budget stated is not too far off, will be using it at home, and that you were actually thinking of a Grado in the first place... I would suggest up budget a little or go Jaben and speak nicely to Uncle Wilson for a Alessandro MS1. He may just give you a friendly price. :party: MS1 rocks!!!

It is rather easily driven, known to be rather durable (dun just take my word, check the appreciation thread in headfi!) and will complement your future collection well. It is also cans that is regularly being sought after, so rather good value and easy to sell on, if ever you need to.

You can see that I have got one myself... and I still wanted it after I got a Beyers DT990. For me, it's light weight and "my" seasoned pair of comfies (with my tiger-balm cap mod... the local current 50cent coin too small here, LOL) makes it my second most comfortable can after my sennheiser HD495 Silver. I also like it's retro look and black colour.

So the question should be rather if you enjoy your music using it with your preferred setup(s). I suggest you make a trip to Jaben and/or Stereo Electronics to try on some cans to find your preference before deciding as your unique ears (and maybe head) are the ones that will be enjoying or suffering from it, SQ or fit-wise.

For an amp, you may want to hold back a little while until you really need an amp or get when you find out more about the wide range of amps that are available now, after trying on quite a number of them to make your decision... do look out for Mass Orders and the Classified sections here and other similar forums for good deals that may occur, even for headphones.

Always try to find best value, especially since you are still a student, my friend.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Grados are the other option but u might not like the comfort. they're supraaural cans which press against the ears. some heads/ears can take it, but others can't.

Goldrings are circumaural so they rest around the ears making them more comfortable.

i think it's best to try both for yourself rather than just reading reviews.

Hi sghound,

Nice to read your posts and see that you have been active lately, your T1 still in the frontline of action?

:b2t Strangely for my long earlobes... the Beyer DT990 don't cover my ears complete and well enough that much prefer the sitting on pads of my HD495 or MS-1. Moreover the latter 2 are featherweights compared to my Beyer can.

Just me. :think:

Edited by Tristram

The MS-1, MS-2, MS-PROs have a slightly different sound signature. Its best to listen. Pop by jaben, he has the above and some grados. The MS-1 sounds darn good, that I must agree for its price.

Another maybe the Senn HD555

to improve USB sound from your computer try this: http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/com/CA4017.htm

i read many good things about it on another forum.

i think the $8 is a bit high though, it can be had for $4~ or less ('mega sale' price)?

or they might have raised the price.

your sr60 will not need amping to 'sing', already sounds good through headphone jack :)

wats that exactly?