Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy Fuzzbucket

should i use bananas or bare wires?

hi all, i've just replaced my old OFC speaker cables with fresh new silver Qed cables... then something came to my mind; my speakers have binding posts. i can use bananas and the spades or bare wires?

so, i think i need opinions. bananas, spades or just bare wires to hook up the speakers to the amp? :blush:

I'd personally go for bare wires (as I do now). One less connector. One less solder point.

I don't see how a connector provides better contact.

I will agree that no connector is best, except that if the cable is thick, it can be hard to fasten the bare wire to the post, without stray wires poking out from all over.

I use banana plugs for the convenience.

i've already screwed in those silvers bare to the binding posts.. sounds real good.. didnt have much trouble with the cores fraying during the mounting process... now thats settled, the other problem is from my amp. it has this wierd cable locking mech. looks like the usual binds but they arent.. open when 12 o'clock n lock shut at 3 o'clock... cant find any pins or terminations for those yet in case i wana change to thicker silvers or anything...

anyway thanks all ya... haha

I used to use bare wires. But the exposed wire will oxidise over time and this may affect the frequency response at both ends. So you will have to trim away the oxidised portion every few months-depending on the humidity level on your room ;)

Edited by david watt

Bare wire are better, but only for a couple of days if not weeks before the cables start to oxidise.

There are plenty of plugs that uses screws instead of soldering, and follow by a heatshrink over, that should do the job.

As for plugs, spades are better sonically but banana are chosen over convenient and safety reasons.