Nova

Why not Senn MX500?

I dun think mine is a defective pair wink.gif

maybe I juz feel it coz I like bass or maybe coz I was comparing it wif the ex71

should be the latter.. right? tongue.gif

next to the ex71, the mx500 looks positively wimpy in the bass section. also, the isolation differs alot, so your perception of bass would similarly differ.

but IMO the ex71's bass is a bit.. overblown. like a girl wearing too much makeup.

Eh.. I thought marantz is by japanese?

I agree with adhoc, if you're comparing the two directly, you will find something missing with the mx500, which is the bass. However, the mx500 alone has sufficient bass , in my opinion.

Edited by Blues

Marantz was a US company till it was bought over by Philips.

I'm using an EX70 and previously an EX51

I find the high real screechy and insufficient. The bass is right, but due to the already insufficient high, makes it sound even less bright, and far from even my Altec Lansing 621 (which is known to be not-so-bright-sounding as compared to a few other high-end PC speakers)).

The reason I use the sony earbud is coz they have real good isolation, so when u are on the bus u won't have to turn the thing real loud to hear the song clearly, even when u sit at the last row where the engine is the loudest. Thus you can enjoy music while not spoiling ur hearing ability.

2nd reason is coz I find it one of the best performer in the SFF (sounds like CPU casing eh?) section, thus I can bring it around with my MP3 player and also handphone in the same pocket without feeling bulged (put in bag bring to school easily stolen).

i had a pair of EX71s, n couldn't stand them after a while. the thing is, im no audiophile or anything, so it says alot imho. screechy highs n bloated bass, coupled wif unbalanced sound made me wince so much i sold it at half price (despite being 1mth+ old) n got me a pair of ksc35s at Koss.com. n i havent looked back since.... the 35s rawk!!!

the only bad thing is its open design n terrible sound leaking, which makes for an unpleasant ride for pple sitting next to me on the bus. im now considering using either my vx100s or mx300s, or getting a pair of mx500s.

i think i spent so much on earphones i shldve just bought a pair of ER4Ps n gotten it over wif headphone.gif

hehe.. yea ety er4p/s are the ultimate portable phone =)

ultimate, yes. practical price, (IMO) no. $410 (as advertised by rameish in classifieds) is a little steep for a earphone IMO.

just imagine - $965 for 30gb ipod + $410 er4p + $200 mint = A LOT OF CASH FOR PORTABLE MUSIC.

personally you're paying for 'ultimate'.

those who are willing to go for ultimate must be ready to fork out alot of cash.Hence the term.

And for me, you can strike the 200 mint off the list.. I am very very happy with etys out of portable straight. Even when amped, they don't really give alot of improvement that I can justify.

So basically just the ipod and ety, will be the ultimate portable for me already wink.gif

Edited by Blues

nah...

I will reserve my comments till I've heard it.

But 1200 is a little over the top...

I would expect it to be at least twice as good as the ety er4s.. if they're just a little better... can forget it.

hard to judge sound quantitatively.... is er4 double the standard of er6? audiophiles pay a huge premium for each improvement in sound past a certain limit, n to me it stops being practical hehe. my ksc35s arent the best but they give me all the pleasure i need hehe

quite true lah...

ah... nevermind as I said

I will reserve my comments till I've heard the shure e5

but for me now, ety er4p/s are still the best for 'portable' cans

Haha... the $1200 earphones u all mentioned aroused some of my past memories. Some years back, I bought a pair of sony earphones, forgotten which model, but rem spending about 60 bucks on it. One day, when I was using the earphones, one of it dropped out of my ears. It went through the gap between my fan and was severed straight away. I was like wacko.gif ... wonder how one will react if its $1200 instead.... keke

you'd just send it back to shure for an exchange for US$55 flat. laugh.gif