Cybernaut

The BEST setup for my situation

Hi all!

I hope this post doesn't come across as the usual n00b intro deal, but it probably will anyway... sigh.

My basic question is what set of cans and amp/dac combo to get, but hopefully I have enough description for reference as to avoid the usual fan boy flame wars.

My background is as a once professional, now hobbyist musician who has a desk job (as a software developer), which affords a ton of time listening to music.

My ideal is a setup that allows me to output directly from my computer (preferably usb/dac) and also from the ipod touch.

My favorite music is rock and electronica (mostly modern rock, progressive rock/metal (lots of tight bass), pop, dnb, trance (female vocals in the mid-range), house), but I listen to many other genres also. Regardless of genre, however, a common theme is that I love "intense" music with a lot of dynamics and am looking for a sound akin to being in the first row at a loud rock concert (but obviously with the benefit of music that was perfected in the studio with many takes to remove mistakes and mastered), and that has a wide soundstage, where it feels like you're right in the middle and instruments are happening all around you.

I hesitate to tell you what I've tried so far, because it could bias the responses, but a friend at work had a Beyerdynamics DT-880 with a Fubar III amp/dac combo, which was one of the better setups I've ever heard, and yet I still feel like the cans could be more dynamic. In reality, I'm not really interested in reproducing "accurate" tonal qualities in the same way many audiophiles might, which is probably why some cans like the Sennheiser 600 bore me... For me, I rather believe it's possible to be better than reality, almost super-reality, to where you wish real life was as good. Anyway, I hope that doesn't sound silly.

One set of cans that has really piqued my interest is the DT 990's, based on some people's discriptions that they are a more dynamic version of the 880's, and have some of the bass the 880 was missing. Also the Grado's sound interesting (SR 325i), but I'm nervous about what others have perceived as a smaller soundstage. I should mention that my price range is flexible, but I prefer cans under <$300 and amp <$200 (eBay pricing). For the second part of the equation, the iBasso D1 and Dared MP5 look interesting, albeit at the high end of my price range. It's also somewhat useful if the cans aren't so loud on the outside as to cause people to complain at work.

I'm sure the typical answer might be "everyone is different, try everything", but unforunately I have neither the time nor money to do the extensive experimenting that is possible. (Are there any good places to try out various equipment in Los Angeles - if so, what?) I've done a bunch of reading already, which is somewhat reflected in what I've said.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Edited by Cybernaut

sounds like a job for the Denon D-2000.

i have both the Beyers, HD600 & K701 and for those type of genres (we be similar here) u've mentioned, nothing touches the D2000 in musicality.

its bass detail is awesome and the mids & highs nicely balanced. soundstage is excellent, which is rare for a closed pair of cans.

try Farle, they stock them Denons.

Edited by sghound

Interesting on the Denon recommendation. I would have never even thought of that brand - been exploring several others (and by exploring I mean reading reviews since I don't know of a place to try them out, other than the Beyer 880 I tried)... Sennheiser HD 595, Grado RS series, Beyer 880/990, AKG K701

But regarding Farle, that's in Singapore, right? I'm a loooonnng way away from there in Los Angeles! :)) I wish there were some place here to just try everything (maybe there is).

Edited by Cybernaut

Interesting on the Denon recommendation. I would have never even thought of that brand - been exploring several others (and by exploring I mean reading reviews since I don't know of a place to try them out, other than the Beyer 880 I tried)... Sennheiser HD 595, Grado RS series, Beyer 880/990, AKG K701

But regarding Farle, that's in Singapore, right? I'm a loooonnng way away from there in Los Angeles! :)) I wish there were some place here to just try everything (maybe there is).

main info here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/denon-ah-...0-house-232846/

my suggestion would be

headphones: beyer dt990 250ohm (2005 model)

dac/amp: diyeden svdac04

i find my dt990 to be excellent for several kinds of rock and pop. it's an extremely fun pair of headphones! after trying Grado SR325i, Sennheiser HD580, 1980 Beyerdynamic DT880, SR80 Re-Cabled(Canare), HD650, i decided to stick with dt990 and alessandro ms2.

honestly, ms2 is better for rock but it is $300 and you said you didnt like grado's small soundstage. dt990 is super comfy(you'd know if you put on your friend's dt880), and has good soundstage.

for dac/amp, i think you'll like diyeden svdac04(http://www.pacificvalve.us/DIYEDENSV04.html). emu0404 is another choice (the most popular usb dac/amp combo in its price range) but its built-in amp sucks big time. and its ugly.

svdac04 is easy to use, its usb dac works nicely, and its built-in amp is very decent. it had no problem driving my hd650 and dt990. it also has an optical-in. its under $200 including shipping.