Sign in to follow this  
mouz

Easy mod for silicon eartips

Now I figured out why Jaben sells one year supply of foam tips, the set of super complys I bought lasted me barely one month and it was starting to tear. So I figured might as well make good use of it and stuffed the foam into the original silicon tips that came with my IEM. Beats replacing foam tips every month if you asked me...

Results...

Good: Better bass and treble (probably due to the foam minimising vibrations in the tube section of the tip), improved sealing out of ambient noise and the durablility of silicon tips. :cans:

Bad: sealing out of ambient noise still not as good as foam tips.

IPB Image

Feels the same actually, the foam just fills in the gap between the tube section and the rest of the tip.

Yah, did my best to get as much off as possible. Gonna try Heady's mod, seems like a much better one than just stuffing the sponge in :)

Eh nice mod! Bookmarked!

You got anymore ? :)

Unfortunately no more. Necessity is the mother of invention. I like the ease of use of silicone tips but like the isolation of foams. And the silicone tips don't fit my ear canals well no matter what size I tried. So the mod is the only way I can get ease of use, comfort and isolation.

cheers.

Sorry for the thread bump but by doing this, is the sound quality changed in any sorts? Like there's gonna be more bass, etc. Just asking because my friend said it's most likely but I would like to get more feedback as I would really like to try this when I have the time smile.gif Thanks in advanced.

Edited by Azhar

Hi Azhar,

If the IEM had poor fit, the bass will also be almost non-existent. With this mod, the bass is restored. If the IEM already fit very well, this mod will just increase the isolation due to the foam. So whatever sound there is will sound louder and clearer.

That's the benefit of the mod, it won't increase the bass if it is not there.

Regards

This thread deserves a bump.

I have been using this mod for about 6 months now on my UE 5 pro.

Isolation increased by a fair bit, bass feels much tighter now.

Note: I found a better ear foam that will make this mod perfect. Head over to Guardian Pharmacy, look out for a product named "EAR plugs" (yes it is spelt with capital EAR). It's packaging is yellow in color, and so is the ear plugs inside. It's rated Noise Reduction Rating of 29 Decibels.

What i particular like about this ear foams is the high density of it. It is not as porous as the one that is recommended. Do give it a shot!

This thread deserves a bump.

I have been using this mod for about 6 months now on my UE 5 pro.

Isolation increased by a fair bit, bass feels much tighter now.

Note: I found a better ear foam that will make this mod perfect. Head over to Guardian Pharmacy, look out for a product named "EAR plugs" (yes it is spelt with capital EAR). It's packaging is yellow in color, and so is the ear plugs inside. It's rated Noise Reduction Rating of 29 Decibels.

What i particular like about this ear foams is the high density of it. It is not as porous as the one that is recommended. Do give it a shot!

Thanks for the tip. Just the right timing, I need to buy more foam tips.