Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

Amplifier questions

Firefox is under development LOL. As he is exposed to different parts and what they do I think he'll be ready to take on greater and greater stuff. Huangyoung, a good way for a budding designer is to experiment with different parts in a very simple circuit design and see how that one component change changes sound. Then have a note book that records the changes - for instance black gates do this, cerafine to that, musiccaps do this differently but had this drawback, solens are nice for ???. But do remember to burn in the stuff before you record the results.

Then now that you've discovered the electronic flavour of each brand, go out and do some cooking --- it needs to be a hobby with great interest. Then apply your electronics knowledge and build a more complex amp. You'll then realise that the componenets have a more subtle effect on complex designs so usually several part substitutions are required to get the desired sound.

If building op-amp based amps, then a through knowledge of their specs is required.

Lastly, concentrate on the power supply aspect. This is offen overlooked and often disregarded. Notice how few builders offer a diy option for power supply? There are several different types of trans - from c-core to e-core to toroid etc. Some like Kondo san hand wind using silver!

After sometime, and after having built a few differnt amps, you'll be at a level where firefox is now ie where part choice is what he thinks about to get the desired sound rather than doing a premium (by price) on everything. Doing a premium on everything is a cop out IMO as it says the modder does not have the confidence to cook rather he buys a set TV meal (if you get my meaning).

Also exposure to different desgins helps while doing mods.

Only then should you look at the limitations of designs commercially offered and attempt to create a better one.

Lastly, good luck and be sane :-)

BTW, I have got your Solens for you :-) See ya tomorrow.

Q. What is main factor that affects the sound quality of an amplifier?

A. The quality of the components and the circuit design.

( Amp with extremely high price tag by famous manufacturers)

B. The quality of components alone.

( Clone amp using high quality components by DIYer )

C. The circuit design alone.

( Commercial amp using normal components base on high-end design )

I am asking this to know that how the folks here think about "how the quality of an amp affects the sound". Whether you are an audiophiles listen or bias by judging the components used in the amp.

Thanks a lot.

U r talking abt amp only right?. My option would be A also. It's not necessary all good amp should come with "extremely high price" & from "famous manufacturers", who says they should? mellow.gif But normally this is the case.

If u CDP-AMP-Spker sound fantastic for u, then it's a good AMP biggrin.gif irregardless the "extreme high price" & "famous manufacturer".

What about Mr Ong of Housenn, Oak ? wink.gif

Only seen Mr Ong of Housenn recently at echoloft but I've heard more comments about TS Lim though! In this business, reputation matters alot cause it's a reflection of their qualities and reliabilities.

What form of modifications are you looking for?

Circuit topology-I've heard that for some amps, removing the global feedback improves the sound signifiicantly

Components replacement - Upgrade to audio grade parts? Perhaps components near the tubes should be upgraded to those with higher temperature operating range.

Internal Wiring/Cables Change- Changing to audio quality cables?

Firefox is under development LOL. As he is exposed to different parts and what they do I think he'll be ready to take on greater and greater stuff.

Firefox, where are you? If you need to go commercial with your projects and inject some Capital Venture pppleasee do talk to me.

Always interested in bringing a good product to market to share with everyone.

yeah.gif

Mod edit: edited your post to make the tags work

Edited by N@Z

Oak, will try the three approaches you suggested...thanks. Ultimately, the idea is to it make sound like Jadis or AR. wink.gif

TS Lim is expensive if he decides to take the job. A coubple of cap changes can set you back about S$350.

There's another guys for tubes - Lu Cen - but he's recovering from the Big C right now. Will keep ya posted Tee.

Thanks Rameish for your suggestions. Will start some tube-rolling first before having surgical operation on the amp. Mullard and Philips tubes help quite a lot. wink.gif

i think it would be B for me.

remember that the bottom line of any company is profit, after all they are not charities. a DIYer on the other hand, may have other priorities in mind.