neutralzz

Is it only me or nobody gets a "ear-ache" from Grados anymor

been a long time since i popped around here.. forgot the password and email to former account here too

my disappearance back then was due to going overseas for a stint before coming back here.

decided to drop by stereo again to pick up a pair of headphones as i've gone full time IEM ever since i made a couple of good purchases off earphone solutions and was craving for phones again.

they had those alessandros lying around and i decided to pick up a pair for the fun of it. asked the guys whether these alessandros were still that bright and "high" as the grados prestiges that gives people a slight ear-ache..

the salesman looked at me in disbelief.. as though i was a newbie and asked what bitrate were my mp3s encoded at.. and that mp3s should be encoded at 190kbps bitrate and above etc (i encode my own mp3s at 320kbps off EAC thankyou)

and right now listening to the alessandros i bought.. sarah brightman is.. bright indeed and i feel the earache coming again.

so.. the long story short.. is it only me? or what?

Edited by mangosteens

Welcome back!

I used to have a Grado, albeit the lowest model, the SR60. When I first got it, it was painful but over time it mellowed or my ears got used to it. So maybe it will take some time too.

Or you can get a nice neutral amp to go along with it.

heheh, and i tought sarah brightman was not as bright as i liked her to be, not even on grados sr60. Perhaps i prefer the "shrills down my spine" kind of feeling.

I havent tried the alessandros before, but i remember they were suppossed to be an alternative for ppl who find the grados too bright. Since ur pair is new, perhaps they need some burn-in/condition period?

heheh, and i tought sarah brightman was not as bright as i liked her to be, not even on grados sr60. Perhaps i prefer the "shrills down my spine" kind of feeling.

I havent tried the alessandros before, but i remember they were suppossed to be an alternative for ppl who find the grados too bright. Since ur pair is new, perhaps they need some burn-in/condition period?

yeah i left it overnight blaring away on my nuforce icon. hopefully it gets better now

ahhh yes i remember my previous username all of a sudden.. neutralzz.. but just forgot the p/w and email :rclxub:

Mmm actually I tried the MS Pro not so long ago and owned a MS2i. Dont really feel that they are really bright. Maybe its just me but its just nice for my listening. Only thing is Im not exactly use to the sound of grado now since i been using AKG for sometime. Flat padding(the one you find in ms1) for grado do reduce the brightness if you find it too bright.

Edited by tassardar_

Guest dragonboy

The MS-1 is already in flat pad as supplied. I didn't feel that the MS-1 or grado sounded bright unless when I had to bring out in noisy environment and had to increase my usual volume to cover the noise pollution. Otherwise I'm happy with the MS-1. Of course, everyone's BRIGHT acceptance level are different. Try to use it for a while.... if you still don't like it, don't force it, maybe you just don't like their characteristics.

Try sending aron at stereo a mail to see if you can swop with something u like. They're quite OK guys.

i still get earaches from grados thats for sure.

differs from ppl to ppl i guess not everyone is as sensitive to highs as i am.

i get earaches and headaches (from physical discomfort) with Grados. guess my skull shape does not agree with the Grado supraural.

i get earaches and headaches (from physical discomfort) with Grados. guess my skull shape does not agree with the Grado supraural.

agreed. i get ear ache from both physically wearing it, and fatigue from the sound. must be the superaural design and the pads pressing on my ears (even though i've stretched it).

Edited by windrider

it could be the grados are too tight for your head, stretch it a little.

tried all sorts of methods but supraural sucks for my shape.