Sign in to follow this  
Coolben

Noob wanna build a Cmoy :)

I'm thinking of building a Cmoy amp, with the kit from Jaben.

Is it below $50? And is a soldering iron included?

Sigh, i've only soldered a few times in my life, and those were huge soldering jobs to link pipes not such small ones... Is this an easy build for a noob?

Oh btw, which local sweets can contain a cmoy? Eclispe?

I'd like to use a Malboro but i'm underaged, and if a smoker sees me dumping the cigarettes, they'll probably kill me -.-

Looking forward to building it :)

Thx :D

I'm thinking of building a Cmoy amp, with the kit from Jaben.

Is it below $50? And is a soldering iron included?

Sigh, i've only soldered a few times in my life, and those were huge soldering jobs to link pipes not such small ones... Is this an easy build for a noob?

Oh btw, which local sweets can contain a cmoy? Eclispe?

I'd like to use a Malboro but i'm underaged, and if a smoker sees me dumping the cigarettes, they'll probably kill me -.-

Looking forward to building it :)

Thx :D

hmmm, you had solder big pipe before? i guess it will be ok for you la...

Soldering is all talk about experience and the dare or not...lols..all the best for you ba :))

hmmm, right now i had only seen the eclispe sweet can fit in. Why not try impact? is smaller!!!!! lols...

Malboro, what you mean by that? the cigarettes box? i think is too weak for it le la...

Big pipe not precise soldering eh...

Lol, Impact too small la...

How to even put 9V battery in? :D

So how? The Jaben kit got soldering iron?

Heard Jaben need to register as member de, how to do tt?

I heard from the Jaben forum that they no longer sell the kit. But you can built one without the kit, the parts are available from Sim Lim Tower. Just need guts and gungho to start. And be prepared to destroy the first one or two attempts. Look at it as lessons. :))

That's how I started. If you not sure if you will go on to other projects, just buy a cheap soldering iron from SLT and don't forget a little tin of flux, you will need it.

For the tin, the perfect tin locally will be the Hudson's cough drops tin.

Go for it!

Cheers.

Hmm, not familiar with SLT, which store sells everything?

I'm gonna DO IT!!! :furious:

Wish me good luck :grin:

Edit: ZZZ, I'm screwed, no electronic knowledge at all -.-

Sob...

How am i supposed to set up the circuit board on my own...

Edited by Coolben

welcome to audio diy (:

this hobby takes a lot of perseverance cause you will most probably fail the first few times like what heady mentioned.

heres a few links to help you get started. they tell you exactly how to do it and you need not know anything about electronics (although it wouldnt hurt to read up on it)

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

and from our local forumer,

http://williamneo.blogspot.com/

for the case enclosure, i'm using hudsons' eumentol jujubes.

IPB Image

you can find them at econ minimarts or guardian pharmacies. however, its made of thin and soft tin so drilling the holes etc will be quite tough. my advice is, go to daiso shops and get small wooden enclosures for like $2. wood is a lot easier to work with.

have fun!

Edited by feesh

Oh great, i got all he parts for the williamneo one, but no Op-Amp...

I went round asking for Op-Amp at SLT, the ppl there just looked at me like i was an idiot, some asked "wad number" so i said AD8066, then they straight away say dun have -.-

Walked super long but didn't get all the parts...

Where to get? :(

Thx for the recommendation on the sweets...

I thinking of using the smallest i can fit the thing in, probably super large cos i'm noob at soldering...

Edited by Coolben

you can order free samples from op-amp manufacturers. i got 3 x national LM4562 from national. why dont you check it out?

just make sure you get the right kind. the DIP kind, NOT the SOIC kind. but then again, you can always get free samples of each kind. doenst hurt. haha.

Free samples are meant for people doing development of new products. If it doesn't bother you, you can get the free samples.

Op amps can only be ordered from Farnell or RS. Farnell has more choice if order is more than $30, they deliver free. RS right now has promotion and deliver free for any amount.

Be careful of which opamps you used. Make sure they are FET type and not bi-polar. Not all opamps are plug-in compatible as well.

Rarghh!!!

I can't even get the LED to light up :(

Sian... I dun see any faults in the soldering...

Edit: LOL, i used the wrong connections on the switch -.-

Sigh, hope the rest will go smooth...

Edited by Coolben

Umm, need help...

How do you noe which is plus or minus on the capacitors?

The long end and short end...

EDIT: Umm nvm, i think the long end should be positive, i think...

Anyway its not like it'll explode if it's wrong :D

Ugh, soldering near the ic socket is hard...

Edited by Coolben

How should i wire up the volume control if mine has 3 pins instead of 2?

IPB Image

Crap, image doesn't show... http://behindamaskoflies.blogspot.com/2008...onic-parts.html

And i have no idea which wire goes where for the stereo jack, now i can't do much till i find out...

Soldering happy faces on my calculator -.-

Edited by Coolben

you can order free samples from op-amp manufacturers. i got 3 x national LM4562 from national. why dont you check it out?

just make sure you get the right kind. the DIP kind, NOT the SOIC kind. but then again, you can always get free samples of each kind. doenst hurt. haha.

When you signed up, were you truthful?

Anyway, how come all the samples no stock :(

You must have sampled everything -.-

Edited by Coolben

all pots will have 3 pins. one will go to ground, and the other two onto your circuit. um, did you get the correct pot? remember that you have to use one that has an exponential relation. if you use one with linear relation, the volume will suddenly jump even if you turn it very slowly. and it has to be a dual pot. one with 6 pins, so you can use each set of 3 pins for each channel.

actually a pot is not a must. my first cmoy amp did not have any pots. simply use the volume control on the player/source.

and electrolytic capacitors can actually explode if terminated wrongly. although i'm not sure as to what extent haha.

for your stereo jack. the pin at the sides should be the ground. the other two at the end is the left/right. just take a wild guess on the left/right. if the left/right channel definition is wrong, just switch the wires at one of the jacks. for a more comprehensive description, search this forum. i remember there were a lot of cmoy threads in here.

and yes, i was. i dont remember what exactly i put, but i also remember i didnt lie my way thru to get samples. only 3 fyi. :D

Edited by feesh