Sign in to follow this  
palestofwhite

Where to shorten earphone wires?

Hi,

I have a pair of ER4P which I use with the Shure MPA Music Phone Adapter to my iPhone. I was thinking of shortening the cable wires of my ER4P to better suit the setup. Is it worth the while shortening the wires? If so where can I do it locally?

Thanks.

Hi blackmouth,

I've tried using that but it adds on too much cable clutter. The weight of the MPA Mic plus the excessive cables and transducer is too much to bear for the ER4P's cable clip. Any input guys?

Hi,

Maybe you could name a shop or place where a professional can do it for me at a good price with the right equipment?

The usual place - LHS, level 2 at Sim Lim Tower. Look for uncle with afro hairdo, sitting outside shop with a pair of soldering irons.

Hi heady,

Thank you very much. Do you know if the type of solder used on the wire will have any effect on the sounding of the earphones? How about the plugs? I was thinking about switching to a straight plug.

I don't have the super ears which can hear small differences and so my opinion is biased. I like using cat5e wire for my amps. Copper sounds good to me.

I think solder has very little effect but if using silver wire, should use silver solder.

Hi heady,

Thanks again for sharing your experience. I'm quite paranoid and have no idea what is going to happen to my earphones, but I shall just leave that to the expertise of the fellows at LHS. I'll let you know when I've gotten the wires done up.

Cheers.

There is only one "fellow" at LHS who does the soldering outside the shop, his name is Patrick. He may also try to sell you silver interconnect he made himself. I have no experience with the silver interconnect as copper has always been good enough for me. :)

At LHS I usually ask for Mr Lim to do my DIY belden cables, his workmanship is superb...sometimes if on the way, he even delivers his cables, makes life easy, you can order your cables just with a phone call.