Sign in to follow this  
LaserWolf

What type of headphones do you reccomend for a sound student

Ok, I've already posted this on another forum, but it never hurts to have as many opinions as possible. any help would be great

I have a somewhat unique situation. I am a sound design major in college and I am just starting to get into my majors classes and I am in need of a new, good quality pair of headphones. I would be using them for everything from post production audio mixing, to studio recording, to field recording, to foley and adr work, so i need a pair that would be both durable and versatile. if anyone could help me out with suggestions or help of any sort that would be great. Thank you in advance.

So far these are what has been suggested to me that I think sounds promising

MDR-7506/V6

AKG 271s

Beyerdynamic DT250

Beyerdynamic DT150

AKG K702/701.

MB Quarts QP 250/240.

Ultrasone PRO/PL650.

AKG K240MKll.

Roland RH300

HD600

I've also looked at the AKg 601's

if you could give me input on some of these, or even have a different pair to recommend that would be great.

here's a link to the other forum post Original forum post

thanks in advance for the help

If you are looking for a headphone to be used in the field for recording, it would need to be both durable and versatile.

I guess the HD600 and K601 will be out. Their construct is good but it would be a real pity if they were to be subjected to rugged use LOL.

Also consider the Sennheiser HD-25. This is designed for field work and is tough. Good sound quality also.

Guest dragonboy

If you are looking for a headphone to be used in the field for recording, it would need to be both durable and versatile.

I guess the HD600 and K601 will be out. Their construct is good but it would be a real pity if they were to be subjected to rugged use LOL.

Also consider the Sennheiser HD-25. This is designed for field work and is tough. Good sound quality also.

Sennheiser HD25 x 2! Light, portable with good isolation.

there is two version for the HD 25 right?

HD 25 - 1 ii and HD 25 SP ii

am i right? which one you all talking abt?

Edited by blackmouth0

Guest dragonboy

there is two version for the HD 25 right?

HD 25 - 1 ii and HD 25 SP ii

am i right? which one you all talking abt?

If budget allows, the HD-25 SP would be my choice. Otherwise, you can settle for the other.

hmmm...i think you can go for the HD 25 1 ii...

if i nt wrong, is below 300 right?

hmmm...to "dragonboy" had you tried these two? curious to know abt it...haha

:)):))

Guest dragonboy

hmmm...i think you can go for the HD 25 1 ii...

if i nt wrong, is below 300 right?

hmmm...to "dragonboy" had you tried these two? curious to know abt it...haha

:)):))

Used to own a HD25SP when I was doing monitoring, but that was many years ago. But its still my best bet. For price, I think you better check it out. It will be a rare headphone.

Senn HD25 (normal version, not SP version) is great for tracking, field recording. Personally I use DT150 for tracking, but it's probably too big for field recording. Then again, nowadays I'm pretty with IEMs for no-fuss tracking purposes.

On the lower budget side, you can get Sony 7560.

However for mixing, sound design etc., I'd go for open cans. I use DT880 to good effect, but let me warn that you'd probably need to use some crossfeed filter and also check back with monitor speakers.

Guest CiTrus

My media studio recommends 7506, personally i use HD25, isolation is goood for the kinda use.