Delirious

Help with Custom IEM avail in the market

Hi, i am interested in getting a Custom IEM but i have no idea where i can get them ? currently i using Westone UM1 and i want to get a Good and affordable Custom IEM as my final upgrade.

the custom item that i heard of are livewire, freq and hearyourself.com but i not really sure about the price in SGD.

can anyone that own 1 custom IEM or know how to go about getting them give me some help and advise .

p.s i using the IEM with my ipod classic currently i not using any portable amp but i don mind getting one if the custom IEM require 1 to drive it .

thank you

Guest dragonboy

Maybe you can try this....ACS T-1 customs

I'm still very happy with mine.... There're times when I fell asleep with it. :grin:

Edited by dragonboy

i was looking around the link u paste for me, look pretty good till i saw the price tag :P

i don't think i can fork out close to 1.8k for it but thank you for your reply.

btw where did u do your ear impression? DIY or u got to a audiologist?

thanks again

Guest dragonboy

i was looking around the link u paste for me, look pretty good till i saw the price tag :P

i don't think i can fork out close to 1.8k for it but thank you for your reply.

btw where did u do your ear impression? DIY or u got to a audiologist?

thanks again

don't DIY!!! It's your ears,bro. I had mine done at DIGISOUND, used to be at suntec but I think they had moved. It pays to have it done at a certified audiologist... at least mine got it right once. I know some had to do twice or worse even three times when done DIY. :bash:

Edited by dragonboy

Anyone here own Livewire or hearyourself.com? care to give some comment??

thank you

both are very popular and around the same price... you can't really go wrong with either one based on the many user reviews on head-fi...

hearyourself has better colours/art avail though, coupled with triple drivers..

livewires only have 2 drivers.

I'd suggest for you to go direct to the company, it's not too difficult and you save $$ doing it yourself.

Try Jaben in Adelphi. They sell a range of customs and can also make your impressions. The issue with customs is that you can't audition them and if you don't like them you can't return or sell them.

Edited by Singapura

Does Jaben charge a premium on top of the online prices?

What about Freq and Ultimate Ears? 2 of my friends are pretty happy with their UEs. For the ear impression problem, a friend of mine redo it 3 times and still cant get it right. In the end he used dental wax to fill up the gaps.

Edited by Morgan Wu

Does Jaben charge a premium on top of the online prices?

most shops would do that no? u're better off doing it urself if u don't mind the hassle... i saved quite abit....

Try Jaben in Adelphi. They sell a range of customs and can also make your impressions. The issue with customs is that you can't audition them and if you don't like them you can't return or sell them.

Has anyone tried those customs which you can fit an IEM to? Then at least if the fit is standard, we can change the IEM.

those are just custom ear tips...

i've tried them. better but i'd save that money for customs in the future instead..

Would you like to share your reasons for your view? How will the customs headphones be better than custom tips?

Would you like to share your reasons for your view? How will the customs headphones be better than custom tips?

I was just thinking.. it's gonna cost like a couple hundred to make tips.. or at least i think that's what the shops are charging now...

so if i saved that 200 odd, sold my iems, say the um2.. for 200.. i have 400 i could use to get a custom with a lil top up?

makes more sense to me...

I was just thinking.. it's gonna cost like a couple hundred to make tips.. or at least i think that's what the shops are charging now...

so if i saved that 200 odd, sold my iems, say the um2.. for 200.. i have 400 i could use to get a custom with a lil top up?

makes more sense to me...

Your view sounds quite logical to me but I can also see it another way. If I use custom tips and I don't like the sound of the combo, I can still sell the IEM to find another which suits my taste better. With custom phones, it is a goner if I don't like the sound.

But this is hypothetical to me at the moment, as I haven't decided if this is a good way to do.

Your view sounds quite logical to me but I can also see it another way. If I use custom tips and I don't like the sound of the combo, I can still sell the IEM to find another which suits my taste better. With custom phones, it is a goner if I don't like the sound.

But this is hypothetical to me at the moment, as I haven't decided if this is a good way to do.

Hm Heady I share the same view as you. For me its partly because I love my ER-4's too much already. It was my very 1st IEM, and until now I'm still loving it. Nothing has made me remove them so far.

IMO, actually custom sleeves are very affordable. Lets put it this way, the cheapest full custom IEM (i.e. livewires) is around $480 (Jaben retail price IIRC, though they have specials for it). This is about the same price if I made custom sleeves for my ER-4 ($250 for sleeves and around $300 for ER-4), and at the min I know that I'll be getting the sound of my favourite IEMs.

So for me its definitely the sleeves route. Not to mention that the ER-4 sleeves would fit onto a few other IEMs (saw someone using it with another one before, forgot what was it though). Moreover, should the sleeves or drivers breakdown, it is much simpler task to get either of them fixed.