Sign in to follow this  
heady

Sennheiser IE 6, 7 & 8 preview

Some of us in sgheadphones were invited for a preview of Sennheiser's new IE line of IEMs. Given the number of people and the number of phones available for testing, I think most people got about 5-10mins worth with each phones.

I found my ears were really lousy compared to the other forumers present, so I am shy to share my views. But I think the IE7 and IE8 may be acceptable to some people. I find the IE8 had really smooth sound but a little too laid back. And a little too much bass, even with the tunable bass at minimum.

I am starting this thread so that the other sgheadphone forumers can leave their impressions here. BTW - thanks Edwin for the invite.

Here's a photo of those I sat with:

Oh yeah, one of the forumers had a real cool collection of portable amps with him. Hmm, who wants to organise a meet? :)

DSCN0160.jpg

I found my ears were really lousy compared to the other forumers present, so I am shy to share my views. But I think the IE7 and IE8 may be acceptable to some people. I find the IE8 had really smooth sound but a little too laid back. And a little too much bass, even with the tunable bass at minimum.

Wa then I must be guilty of lousy ears also :think: Haha IMO no such thing as lousy ears, only sastisfied ears. Hm I had the same impression as you, the bass of the IE8 was really a little too much for me, and also quite uncontrolled. The sound was also vieled, and I just can't get that kind of sonarity from a violin that I have on my ER-4. It was generally quite laid back, I suppose that's the kind of standard senns use maybe.

However, having said that, someone who has used the IE8 and burn it in commented that after some burn in the bass tightened, and the vieledness and laid-backness was decreasing. I'm not too sure how the IE8 would sound after that, but it does sound promising.

Here's a photo of those I sat with:

Never take the other side :yuck:

Oh yeah, one of the forumers had a real cool collection of portable amps with him. Hmm, who wants to organise a meet? :)

Count me in!

peanutbutterjam - picture of the other side will show the back of their heads only lah. :P

BTW - the others in the group I was sitting in could discern a lot more than I could when listening. But then my ears are old and deaf already from the years of abuse.

darkkopi- thanks for your pics. I felt like I was the odd one out in the group pic. So old compared to the young ones there.

Guest dragonboy

I had a brief auditon on the New IE8 at stereo as usual .... my lunchtime :grin: . Very interesting earphones, easy to listen to but I can't really say that I really like it. Bass was a bit too-overwhelming IMO :rclxub: , could be due to running in. Anyway, Teng said that they'll be running-in the IE8 overnight daily and see how it goes.

I had a brief auditon on the New IE8 at stereo as usual .... my lunchtime :grin: . Very interesting earphones, easy to listen to but I can't really say that I really like it. Bass was a bit too-overwhelming IMO :rclxub: , could be due to running in. Anyway, Teng said that they'll be running-in the IE8 overnight daily and see how it goes.

Oh? You mean stereo burns in their demo sets? Or is it only for the IE8?

Guest dragonboy

The last time I left, they were running-in the IE8 and ESW10 24hrs daily unless auditioning in process.

Guest dragonboy

Just found that stereo DROPPED a hundred $$ off the price from the IE8. :DD And the staff were saying that anyone who had bought at a higher price can go back for a rebate :grin: Isn't that very nice of them.

But the main thing is I still don't really like the IE8. :blush:

Just found that stereo DROPPED a hundred $$ off the price from the IE8. :DD And the staff were saying that anyone who had bought at a higher price can go back for a rebate :grin: Isn't that very nice of them.

But the main thing is I still don't really like the IE8. :blush:

wah! that's so nice!

-ohn' date='23 Dec 2008, 10:06 AM' post='105489']

Bass too strong for you?

The bass can adjust one :)

Edited by blackmouth0

The bass can adjust one :)

IMHO, even bass at minimum, it is still quite strong but some say after break-in sounds ok. Well, I haven't heard an IE8 which has been properly broken-in yet. Maybe I should visit Stereo.

IMHO, even bass at minimum, it is still quite strong but some say after break-in sounds ok. Well, I haven't heard an IE8 which has been properly broken-in yet. Maybe I should visit Stereo.

Maybe you should, haven't seen you for quite a while. B)