delancyst

WTB portable amp (Mustang or iBasso)

Does anyone know what portable amps are offered in SE?

I'm tempted to venture into adding amps to my setup for the first time

after years of listening to portables unamped.

Would like to find out the price range of portable amps like RSA Mustang or iBasso

so I can work out a budget for it.

Preferably buy a good one so that it'll last me for awhile, also be have usb so i can connect through

my PC.

Also, for the interconnect, Im using iPod Touch, is it important to buy one that is mini-plug to iPod dock connector

or mini-plug to mini-plug type? I'm guessing the mini-plug/mini-plug cable will still go through the DAC stage of

the iPod, which is not needed if the amp is also a dac, right?

Having said that, do portable amps come interconnects also?

Edited by delancyst

Does anyone know what portable amps are offered in SE?

I'm tempted to venture into adding amps to my setup for the first time

after years of listening to portables unamped.

Would like to find out the price range of portable amps like RSA Mustang or iBasso

so I can work out a budget for it.

Preferably buy a good one so that it'll last me for awhile, also be have usb so i can connect through

my PC.

Also, for the interconnect, Im using iPod Touch, is it important to buy one that is mini-plug to iPod dock connector

or mini-plug to mini-plug type? I'm guessing the mini-plug/mini-plug cable will still go through the DAC stage of

the iPod, which is not needed if the amp is also a dac, right?

Having said that, do portable amps come interconnects also?

I believe Stereo brings in the entire range of iBasso amps but you have to check with them if they have stocks for it

Stereo do sell the iQube as well.

You can go to their website to check what stuffs do they offer

http://stereo.com.sg/store/index.php

If you are looking for a amp with DAC, then RSA Mustang is out as it does not comes with DAC. If you are looking for Ray Samuels products, then the only option is RSA predator which has a inbuilt DAC.. Stereo don't bring in RSA products, you have to check with Jaben or buy it directly from Ray Samuels. For pricing, Mustang is in the region of 600 and predator around 700-800

For iBasso, some possible options for amp + DAC are iBasso D2 viper, D2 Boa or D3 python.. Price should be around the region of 300 -350

Yes, when you buy iBasso amp, they do provide interconnect.. however, most of the time most of us will buy a better interconnect instead of using the given interconnect by iBasso..

Since you are using ipod touch, it is better to get a line out dock instead of mini..

Hope it helps

PS:Mod pls delete if i have said anything wrong or things i should not have said

Edited by xander

I personally have the Mustang but also like the iQube. The iQube should be in the S$700+ region. I bought my Mustang direct from RSA with the Xmas promo, S$600 shipped.

Then again you might want to venture into the iBasso series for a good value : SQ ratio. As for the D3 I used to own one but could not tolerate RF interference. I have not tried the rest and cannot comment.

All of them should be pretty good to last you sometime.

Edited by palestofwhite

Ok guys, Im quite leaning towards the Mustang now as it is chargeable through USB with its built-in Li-on batt.

Since it does not have a DAC, i guess a mini-mini interconnect could

be good enough since I don't EQ my music on the iPod also.

I wonder how long can the iQube last with the 4xAA.

@palestofwhite

Do you own any Westone IEMs / Ultrasone cans?

What do you think of the sound when using the Mustang?

delancyst, i would suggest you try out something less expensive first hand, or maybe even consider a 2nd hand "high end" amp. Because from your first post, its seems that you are still unsure how a amp and dac works together.

Regarding your last post, even if you do not EQ your music, the amp in the iPod would have also altered the sound. Thats unavoidable. And buying a amp is kinda trying to "avoid" the amp in the iPod in the first place. So i think its quite meaningless to use the signal from the iPod itself.

The reason why people use "line out docks" and connect to the butts of the ipod, is because the signal there come directly from the dac in the ipod, and bypasses the amp, albeit not totally (this is what i assume, correct me if i am wrong too). Then the sound you hear would be coming purely from the external amp.

Even with this set-up, there are still a few people who mod their ipods so that they can bypass the amp altogether.

Guest dragonboy

delancyst, i would suggest you try out something less expensive first hand, or maybe even consider a 2nd hand "high end" amp. Because from your first post, its seems that you are still unsure how a amp and dac works together.

Regarding your last post, even if you do not EQ your music, the amp in the iPod would have also altered the sound. Thats unavoidable. And buying a amp is kinda trying to "avoid" the amp in the iPod in the first place. So i think its quite meaningless to use the signal from the iPod itself.

The reason why people use "line out docks" and connect to the butts of the ipod, is because the signal there come directly from the dac in the ipod, and bypasses the amp, albeit not totally (this is what i assume, correct me if i am wrong too). Then the sound you hear would be coming purely from the external amp.

Even with this set-up, there are still a few people who mod their ipods so that they can bypass the amp altogether.

yup, you're right, Morgan Wu. The LOD of the ipod bypasses the amp, hence prevents double amping.

And IMO, the ibasso does have very value for money DAC+AMP like the BOA if you need to charge via USB. If not I'll suggest the D3 python. My Iqube estimate lasts about 80hrs on alkaline.

delancyst, I'll suggest you to try the Ibasso, get some idea about DAC and AMP before committing yourself.

I first went with an iBasso D3 and that was when I decided on the Mustang. Although as of now, without an inbuilt DAC for my Mustang, I currently plan on getting a USB DAC such as a GoVibe to use with my Mac.

If you really want to skip the upgrading process, head down to stereo and have a good listen to the various amps. You can give them a few visits without buying first and give all the amps a good listen. That can actually give you a better picture of what to expect. You should definitely try the iQube.

As for my case, I don't usually use my Mac to play my music, so an inbuilt DAC is not my priority. It really boils down to your personal usage and how you want to work your set up.

I recommend the P3 if you like the opamp rolling capability. For someone new to audiophile stuff, its versatile with you being able change opamps to suit your musical tastes.

I have a mint set for sale, PM if interested. Thanks!

Why don't you look at Pico as well. It comes with or without dac. I actually prefer it over Mustang as it's sound fuller and warmer with an excellent mid.

Edited by ical

Why don't you look at Pico as well. It comes with or without dac. I actually prefer it over Mustang as it's sound fuller and warmer with an excellent mid.

I'm actually leaning towards the Mustang now due to its smaller size and favorable reviews with the cans im using.

Also looking at the iBasso T4, which is even thinner and said to be able to drive even a HD650 decently.

How much is the Pico going for? Is it available in sg?

Unfortunately, theres no place i can find which have all the amps that I can audition.

After reading for the past few days, I guess I don't require a dac anymore, just amp will do.

I believe without dac feature, it will cut down on battery usage also.

Edited by delancyst

Good amp+DAC combos all have the ability to shut down the DAC section totally when the DAC is not in use. The battery savings shouldnt be substantial.

If you are are lookin for small amps, check out the Xin super micro too. Its even smaller than the mustang.

Pico should cost about 700sgd, sometimes Jaben carries it, but at a premium i guess. You got to loan it from someone to audit it, and cheapest way is to buy from headamp direct.

Good amp+DAC combos all have the ability to shut down the DAC section totally when the DAC is not in use. The battery savings shouldnt be substantial.

If you are are lookin for small amps, check out the Xin super micro too. Its even smaller than the mustang.

Pico should cost about 700sgd, sometimes Jaben carries it, but at a premium i guess. You got to loan it from someone to audit it, and cheapest way is to buy from headamp direct.

Wah 700sgd, thats about the same price of the iQube.

Ok, I'll check out the Xin, its a China audio company right?

EDIT: looks like the SuperMicro can only last 7-9hrs, cos it only allows 1 AAA batt.

Edited by delancyst

Well the sound of the Pico is really good. I would have gotten one if i can afford it. :)

I dont really think the battery life of the Xin would be a problem, since AAAs are so portable. If you use a good AAA battery i believe will last longer.

Xin is based in US but its started by a Chinese. Well, i am not from China, but i say future good amps should be mostly from China.

Well the sound of the Pico is really good. I would have gotten one if i can afford it. :)

I dont really think the battery life of the Xin would be a problem, since AAAs are so portable. If you use a good AAA battery i believe will last longer.

Xin is based in US but its started by a Chinese. Well, i am not from China, but i say future good amps should be mostly from China.

Try getting your hands on Xin amps, the wait time is crazy if you ordered direct from Xin.

getting a second hand set will be equally difficult.

i do agree that good amps will come from china, take the ibasso for example, cheap and good. :D

the D3 saved me from the pico.