viscy

How much is/Where to get a soldering station?

Right now I have a GOOT CS20, it's really been a nice tool to have; finished lots of DIY projects with it. But I realise the 25W of power is way too low to desolder components.. Can't even heat up the solder wick enough for it to suck up the solder. So I was thinking I'll just jump straight to a soldering station and save up on future upgrades.

I've been eyeing the Hakko 936, but i'm not sure how much it costs locally and i cant find any info online either. Some US Sites selling it for USD75.(They're manufactured in Singapore, so theoretically they should be cheaper here, though I doubt it)

I'm more interested in the hakko936 clones because they're cheaper and usually do the job as well, but I dont think there's a place to find them in SG, is there?

So.. Anyone knows the price of a hakko936? Or any good alternative soldering station that I could buy? Most important thing I'm looking for is that it's ESD Safe, and has HIGH, HIGH, HIGH durability and reliability. Many thanks.

I've seen recommendations of weller too, but i'm mainly eyeing hakko. (If i'm not wrong it's cheaper and better, can't be sure though)

Many thanks : )

PS: I dont mind a used unit(In fact I'd prefer it because it's cheaper) but searched all over singapore's trade forums and didn't find a trace of any soldering stations. Haha.

Edited by viscy

Regarding the high reliability part, i am not sure if the price ranges you want will give you the many highs you want. But price wise, if you got friends going to China, ask them to bring one back for you. A friend of mine got a soldering station (with LOTS and LOTS of accessories) for a mere <100RMB, which is less than 30 SGD. Check out the Chinese sites.

If you are buying local, the cheapest station with LCD is the one i found at farnell. About 95~108 SGD.

http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.js...=duratools&Ntx=

hakko's station are pretty hard to get, their distributor here seems to be sleeping.

I havent toured SLT because i am lazy, but if you scout around there maybe you may find some hidden treasures.

Edited by Morgan Wu

I've been calling several shops. Spoke to the guy at koba electronics, he was really friendly. They sell taiwanese soldering stations, analog, at 68 bucks. Really good value i must say, i will go down and get one set.

SLT basement got one shop? the one selling batteries for cordless devices?

Yeah....but that shop sells very expensive..Igot the Hakko quote from them. Funny thing is no warranty for hakko in singapore....I might look at weller...

Goot agent is in basement of Sim Lim Tower. Very nice couple owns the shop. I recommend a temperature controlled iron, no need for station. Save the money for your other purchases. I use a 70W temperature control iron and it's fine, even if I forgot to turn off at night and left on for 24 hours.

Goot agent is in basement of Sim Lim Tower. Very nice couple owns the shop. I recommend a temperature controlled iron, no need for station. Save the money for your other purchases. I use a 70W temperature control iron and it's fine, even if I forgot to turn off at night and left on for 24 hours.

I was at that shop about 1 mth ago. I saw the temperature control iron but don't know why no warranty. I have neave use goot before don't know how good are they...

Hmm.. how much does that cost? Does it have variable temperature function like a soldering station does? ESD safe?

@Stephen, i think your tip will oxidize if you leave it on for so long.

Actually, I think i clean the tip too clean...oh...I bought the mini station last friday..521 I think....will try it on my y1 when the kit arrive...

Hmm.. how much does that cost? Does it have variable temperature function like a soldering station does? ESD safe?

Sorry, forgot the price but certainly cheaper than a station. The temperature is adjustable with a screw driver but no display. And because it is temperature controlled, it doesn't go all black if left on.

I never have problem with ESD in Singapore, our weather is too humid for static build-up. I don't work in aircon room, the fumes will get you.

I have bought a cheap soldering station from Koba before but the control doesn't really work, it was either too hot or not hot enough, eventually junked it. You get what you pay for, I guess.

I recommend Antex 690SD made in England very reliable brand cos me still using Antex for more than 10 years old till now still serving me well - discontinued Antex TCSU-1!!!

Antex 690SD can get from a shop in first level in SLS they are the agent for Antex in sg. Price is around 200 plus.

IPB Image