blackmouth0

ATH CK 100 First impression!

Head down to Stereo at night looking for a triple driver IEM. As usual, tried the Shure 530, UE 10 pro, and the westone 3. Very different between them.

Then, Aron passed me this IEM, ATH-CK100 and he told me is a triple driver IEM from Audio Technica, Tried it out.

First Impression is, compare this with the Shure, Westone and the UE, it gave a wider soundstage, and making the vocal more outstanding. Bass was ok, and it make the whole music, vocal part, coming out more. Not harsh, nor bright on the vocal.

Well, I am still cannot decide which IEM to get. BTW, according to the staff, stock will arrive by later, 07/03/09 Saturday.

Maybe you guys can make a trip down to try it out yourself later on?

IPB Image

Guest dragonboy

Yeah.. I did tried them out the last time I was in US.... but awfully expensive... It was like USD$550! :rclxub:

It was a marvellous earphones with real smooth vocals, strong mid-range.... a vocal killer earphones that IMO none of the triple-drivers you mentioned is closed to this.... if you're comparing the vocal range. :party:

Just wonder what price are they retailing in S'pore? :think:

Guest dragonboy

Did someone say good at vocals? :DD

If you like the Etys ER-4P or S ..... You'll LOVE the CK100! :lust:

If you like the Etys ER-4P or S ..... You'll LOVE the CK100! :lust:

I liked both the ER4 and the Atrio but for different reasons. I still need some of that groovy bass on the go. :blush:

Guest dragonboy

I liked both the ER4 and the Atrio but for different reasons. I still need some of that groovy bass on the go. :blush:

I'm not much of a basshead.... More than half of my songs are vocal or instrumental which the CK100 excel marvellously :party:

I'll say that whenever there's too much bass it tends to over-color the mids & high. It's a matter of personal compromise.

Just tested the CK100 yesterday, I'm impressed... finally Audio Technica did something right to their IEM.

Will drop by Stereo later after lunch to have a final audition

haha, i do agreed that Audio Technica finally done something right to their IEM and making it sound nice. Too bad I need some element of strong bass to go with my songs. :))

Guest dragonboy
-ohn' date='10 Mar 2009, 10:03 AM' post='108664']

Just tested the CK100 yesterday, I'm impressed... finally Audio Technica did something right to their IEM.

Will drop by Stereo later after lunch to have a final audition

Yeah... now that you've mentioned, I was never impressed by any of their earphones till this..... :party:

After a second listen yesterday, I got it. ^_^

IPB Image

Not only I got the Audio Technica CK100, I got myself the latest Ultimate Link Affinity-i....

IPB Image

And the Valgrind Audio pouch for my I-Qube.

IPB Image

Impression of the Audio Technica ATH-CK100

This CK100 like the other AT high-end IEM is made in Japan, comes with a very neat black case to hold the IEM. The CK100 is ultra light and easy to wear, it can be wore over or under the ears depending on your preference, personally over the ears provided me with a better fit and isolation.

The CK100 works very well with various amps like RSA mustang or Headamp pico, Iqube being my favourite combo. I tried the CK100 unamp with the Sony MP4 player my wife is using and they work well with EQ settings without distortion or sounding bright.

I personally have the Shure SE530, UE triplefi10Pro and had just sold off the Westone 3 recently.

Comparing to the Shure SE530, I feel the vocals beat the SE530 flat down. Before this, I always feel the UE and Shure had a different sound signature and I might just like any of the vocals depending on my mood or music preference but with the CK100, it was obvious the CK100 was wayyy better in the vocal dept.

Having own the SE530 for the longest period among all, I felt that the botton end (mid and low bass) was slightly too bloated (or muddy or loose) for my taste and gives me ear fatigue sooner than the UE. This reminds me when I was once hunting for a headphone and auditioning the Beyer DT770 (SE530) with the Senn HD600 (CK100).

UE triplefi10pro was an IEM I quite like but never could get a good seal but I guess I'm not alone. :shifty: Tried comply and sponge and black olives but non work well enough for me, CK100 seals tight and best of all, I couldn't feel a thing at all when it's in my ears.

Coming from the Etymotic ER4S, the treble and midrange qualities of the UE triplefi10pro was the better among the Shure and Westone but still it wasn't smooth enough, and I miss the ER4S. Although I can't say for sure that the CK100 is as good but, listening to the CK100 now, I don't miss the ER4S anymore.

Bass. Yes, everyone should be curious how this IEM performs in the bass dept. Bass is tight, clean and define, so if you have a track with 3 bassists playing side by side, you should tell who is who without stressing your ears.

The CK100 definitely do not have the bass quantity found in the Westone 3 and Shure SE530 but I very much find that the bass on CK100 is more than sufficient for my genres of music preferences.

Impression of the Ultimate Link Affinity-i

This was the easiest piece of audio equipment I have ever audition since my journey switched from speakers to headphone. The last time something like this happen was about a decade ago when I tested my first audio grade powercord vs the stock powercord on my VTL power amp. Why do I say that? Simply because the improvements was obvious. I didn't took me long (couple of testing tracks) before I threw my ALO cryo scx, Qables silvercab pro and the former Ultimate Link SM-i into my bag.

Do I need to say more? :rolleyes:

Impression of the Valgrind Audio pouch

Frankly speaking this is one expensive pouch considering it is made in China and made of PU leather.... but still a must have. :doh: It has a clip behind which can be remove and is specially customize for the Iqube, they have brown and black color available.

Nice write up and pictures. How's the fit and wire of the ck100? The wire and ear tips looks similar to those from the ck9; and those were 2 issues I had with the ck9 that eventually led me to sell them. Couldn't get a good fit and the wire kept rubbing the back of my ear making it itch.