Sign in to follow this  
tpcml

Upgrade path from Cowon D2+

Hi All,

I'm currently using a Cowon D2+ with Westone UM2/UM3X and need advice on moving to the next level of sound quality. I listen to all types of music, except dance, country and rock, and find the Cowon/Westone combination works well, but I am looking for more defintion in the highs.

I see my options as:

1. Sell Cowon, then buy new amp + player with line-out. Suggestions of new player and amp?

2. Keep Cowon, and go for custom canals with the UM3X. The ES3X is not an option due to cost.

Option 1. will cost more, but I plan to sell the Cowon and UM2 (PM me if you are interested!) to finance this option -- with top-up, that leaves me with $700-800 for a new player and amp.

Which route gives more bang for my $? If I go option 1, will $800 get me a player/amp combination that will thump the Cowon?

i suggest doing a custom iem. simple and nice portable setup.

ipod/imod + amp is quite hassle, u need to find a amp that pairs with ur iem then u need to find a LOD to further enhance the "connection" between ur ipod and amp.

alot of money...

Edited by charlie0904

Hi charlie, thanks for your input. If we take convenience and cost out of the equation, do you think there is real improvement in SQ if I go for a amp/player combination vs Cowon D2+?

Hi charlie, thanks for your input. If we take convenience and cost out of the equation, do you think there is real improvement in SQ if I go for a amp/player combination vs Cowon D2+?

real improvement is skeptical. depending on your source (mp3 or losseless, what genre u listen to) and how much u r willing to spend on amp and LOD. at very least is 10-20%.

does not mean getting an amp and LOD, u will get improvement. amp also have their sound signature production. u will need to try alot amps or read reviews to know which amp benefit ur iem.

Edited by charlie0904

real improvement is skeptical. depending on your source (mp3 or losseless, what genre u listen to) and how much u r willing to spend on amp and LOD. at very least is 10-20%.

does not mean getting an amp and LOD, u will get improvement. amp also have their sound signature production. u will need to try alot amps or read reviews to know which amp benefit ur iem.

Thanks again. So the potential from improvement is there, but also the potential to mess up the SQ if I get the amp<->IEM synergy wrong.

Is the ipod the option if I want something with a line-out?

Thanks again. So the potential from improvement is there, but also the potential to mess up the SQ if I get the amp<->IEM synergy wrong.

Is the ipod the option if I want something with a line-out?

yup IMO if ur iem response well to amplification that is y using lossless is important, so as u can get the best out of it. how best would depend on personal ears. having a good seal is also important.

ipod is the most common solution. i read people use sony and sansa fuze also, but may have to DIY the cable.

or the semi-retarded iriver H140 optical out to a ibasso D10 which u can utilize both DAC and amp section.

cheers.

PS: line out cable material do make some difference also, try some to have a better feel. so head down to stereo and jaben to do some testing if u decide to get a ipod. be sure to bring cash along. :rclxms:

Thanks. I have access to a vulcan and T4 amp -- now to track down a H140...

Anyone can help tell me where I can find an iriver H140 locally? Thanks.

Anyone can help tell me where I can find an iriver H140 locally? Thanks.

Plan aborted...

Over the 2 days, I have tested a number of ipods (mostly 4th G) + amp combinations and nothing seems to match the dynamics and resolution of the D+.

Thanks for all the help.

Over the 2 days, I have tested a number of ipods (mostly 4th G) + amp combinations and nothing seems to match the dynamics and resolution of the D+.

err, this is common knowledge.

no surpises here. enjoy your D2!

Its the best... I also own the D2 and I find the sound fantastic with great battery life

I just bought the um3x... music is simply heavenly but i am using the p51 to amp the d2 :P

i am using the p51 to amp the d2 :P

wow always wanted to know how this pairing goes.

wats the vol set on d2?

are the footprint size of rsa/d2 similar?

wow always wanted to know how this pairing goes.

wats the vol set on d2?

are the footprint size of rsa/d2 similar?

Also, is there a sound signature that is added?