Sign in to follow this  
dreamie

OTL vs transformer output

As above.

Wanna build a OTL amp but i'm afraid that the impedence, if not matched, will damage the tubes and circuit. What do u guys think?

How does it work? Is it just an impeadance matching transformer. Or does it work with that RF carrier technique? Or something else?

I'm not too sure myself but in the Cayin and RKV, they both use impedance matching transformers.

Edited by Mackie

RF Carrier Technique?

Not too sure if you are referring to the RF signal being modulated onto the carrier signal for the above ...

IMO, I think it's just an impedance matching transformer. IIRC, the RKV's Impedanzer circuit is simple and sweet.

Impedanzer is the answer. Refer to Audio valve RKV head amp.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but having the Impedanzer means that it's transformer output, no longer a OTL amp, right?

RKV -> OTL amp

RKV+Impedanzer -> transformer output amp

Am I right? mellow.gif

Just to increase my post and to clarify something here :

The design of the impedance transformer in the Cayin and the RKV's Impedanzer is 99% similar (1% short in case I'm wrong, hee hee hee kiasee).

In other words, they are almost exactly the same circuitry.

RF Carrier Technique?

Not too sure if you are referring to the RF signal being modulated onto the carrier signal for the above ...

I am refering to the technique used in amps like the microZOTL.

To my knowledge the 'Impedanzer' is an output matching mini power amp (which is basically a transformer of some sort), no?

As to my understanding it can drive high efficency loudspeakers and difficult headphones too (as in variable output), no??

I'd like to be corrected on this, thanks

Edited by matbon0013

Impedanzer is the answer.  Refer to Audio valve RKV head amp.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but having the Impedanzer means that it's transformer output, no longer a OTL amp, right?

RKV -> OTL amp

RKV+Impedanzer -> transformer output amp

Am I right? mellow.gif

Fine analysis and I do concur. In which case, I reckon Tension has to come to terms with the various cans he like and draw a conclusion on the impedance to match for his project amp. An outboard impedanzer will have to applied for cans of different impedance.