Sign in to follow this  
That dude

Noob here, needs help.

Ok, i'm new at this. So i've been around the forum, i noticed something called a headphone amplifyer, some DIY and some retail. So, i own a ATH-CK7, and i use ipod 5g and zen vision m. i am a "bass head" not a fan of the mudded bass but the love banging sh*t.(like the bass drum) anyway, can someone recommend me a good headphone amp and also tell me, WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY DO?!

:blink:

Ok, i'm new at this. So i've been around the forum, i noticed something called a headphone amplifyer, some DIY and some retail. So, i own a ATH-CK7, and i use ipod 5g and zen vision m. i am a "bass head" not a fan of the mudded bass but the love banging sh*t.(like the bass drum) anyway, can someone recommend me a good headphone amp and also tell me, WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY DO?!

:blink:

Here's a review of a basic CMOY amp and an explaination, in layman's terms, of what a headphone amp actually do: http://www.dansdata.com/cmoy.htm

I think it would be better to audition some amps to see whether it actually result in a noticeable difference on your current setup, before plonking your cash on one. Headphone amps can range from relatively cheap to exorbitant amounts :))

The "cheaper" ones are the Crossroad amps (below $100), to the Xenos REP & RHP series (below $200), and also the PA2v2, as Top-Gun mentioned. I think you can audition the Xenos amps either in Stereo Electronics or Jaben Network. Jaben brings in the Crossroads, but I think he's out of stock at the moment.

I've tried the CK7 with LDM+, it tightens the bass a lil (nt as great as LD2+ did), gave more details and of cos made the sound brighter.

ATH-CK7 dont really produce what bass heads love, recommend u to change for a more bass-based IEM rather den getting an amp for it. (just my personal opinion)

Whoa... So much info... Thanks guys!

I'm saving up also for a um1, is that the best IEM i can get for below $200?

I like listening to rock, jazz and a little classical pieces(yup..its ranges) anyway, any reccomendation?

Whoa... So much info... Thanks guys!

I'm saving up also for a um1, is that the best IEM i can get for below $200?

I like listening to rock, jazz and a little classical pieces(yup..its ranges) anyway, any reccomendation?

Try out the different IEMs at Stereo or Jaben and hear them for yourselves and decide which to get. There are several IEMs below $200.

Rockbox your iPod 5G, get a simple amp (even a PA2V2 will do) and activate the iPod 5G's HARDWARE EQ (!!!!!!!!!!) using the Rockbox Firmware.

All the more reasons I want a 5G now ;_;

Thing is, my ipod's still under warranty, i'm afraid that the warranty will be voided if i install rockbox firmware. And is the process reversible?

I'm thinking about getting the um1 or the UE super fi. 3 studio? Where can i get the best price for them?

Try Jaben or Stereo. CK7 isn't your typical "basshead" canalphone/IEM. I believe you'll enjoy the UM1 more. Haven't heard the Super fi. 3 yet. The Altec Lanseng iM716 is also said to be another good IEM under SGD200.

Rockboxing your iPod is a reversible process, and you can also dual boot from it.

Try it, after you Rockbox your iPod, there'll be no turning back.

if im nt wrong, u can format it to a clean ipod firmware again. (i did that myself)

if u really need a cheap and good amp, go crossroad hp1... it more warmth and bass oriented den LDM+... if still nt happy, try either of the Xenos amps... as for IEM, um1 is nt really for bass head too... try um2 and if u still nt happy, sf5eb... wahaha... as for ur ipod, rockbox it, lineout and viola... near perfect portable sound... (thought nt as gd as h1XX rockbox... hee)

Try Jaben or Stereo. CK7 isn't your typical "basshead" canalphone/IEM. I believe you'll enjoy the UM1 more. Haven't heard the Super fi. 3 yet. The Altec Lanseng iM716 is also said to be another good IEM under SGD200.

im716 can challenge e4, sf5pro and slightly lower den er4p... so u can c which is the best under $200 IEM.. um1 only advantage is the fit and style it provide...

im716 can challenge e4, sf5pro and slightly lower den er4p... so u can c which is the best under $200 IEM.. um1 only advantage is the fit and style it provide...

NOTE:for tat to happen you would nid to use a amp wif the im716 oso..........