Sign in to follow this  
Q00

Need Recommendations for headphones.

Hello guys, im new here and im not yer normal audiophile cuz my only source for now at least is a computer and that hardly qualifies as a source. Most of my stuff are handed down to me like an old technics amp and equalizer and cdplayer dats been around for over 10 years. I just needed some recommendations for headphones dat would suit my needs. Sum things off the top of ya head would really help me alot and so i can roughly budget and start saving while i still have a few more months in NS because its my last chance to utilise my 'free funding' fully. Im more of a buy one time and keep on using it till it self destructs kind of person so ill need it to be indestructable hehe.

I need it to be a pair of closed cans cuz i dont like sound seeping in. Id rather keep sound out but i dont really worry about sound getting out. Ill be moving quite a bit so i'll need to get a portable amp as well. My kind of music is more of the fast kind and heavy on bass because i listen a lot to drum n bass and hiphop but i listen to alot of jazz just as much so vocal and instrumental quality matters to me as well. Hopefully i can use these pair as my dj headphones as well when i finally save up enuff to get a pair of decks and a mixer. These are pretty demanding needs so im sure that there isnt the perfect headphones out there (yet) for me but hopefully i can find something darned close. unsure.gif

Anybody? Ill be forever grateful. biggrin.gif

Sounds like another candidate for the Sony MDR-7506 (or V6) it is a closed, robust, DJ style headphone around +SG$100. Ample bass but pretty good sounding headphones too. Infact, these fit your bill exactly.

Here's a link to see what it looks like & some specs:

http://www.headphones.com/headphones/profe...506_detail.html

I agree with the Sony MDR-7506 or the V6, of all my cans this has had the most milage lately. Especially with my computer and iPod as source thumbup1.gif

thanks for the suggest... the ear pieces look kinda small dont they....

wish i had the money to plonk down for a R10...*drool*

ok was looking thru the site... noticed that there is a 7509 and a 7505 as well...what do u think of those?

Ive been reading alot of great reviews online about the 7506(v6)'s and the beyer pads mod looks great but is there any other models that might be of a better grade in case i wanna future proof it or is this the golden standard rite now?

Looks are decieving unless you have bigger earlobes than normal. Good example is the Sony MDR-D66SL (aka Eggos). The Beyer pads mod will definitely improve the comfort & slightly increase the earpad inner size but at a loss to midrange (but reduced brightness).

Please note that we are referring to the 7506 not 7509 nor 7505. I cannot comment on them as I have never heard them before. I wouldn't recommend an R10 for DJ use unless +$4K is chump change for you! rolleyes.gif

What do you specifically mean by better grade & future proofing? Quality of construction? Design aka flashy V600/V700? I wouldn't say the 7506 is the golden rule but it fits nearly all your criterias listed above. The only other headphone which I can recommend you (albeit more expensive but still within you budget) is the closed Beyerdynamic DT770(Pro). Even more bass but recessed mids (great for watching movies late at night! Alot of impact.). Unfortunately the driver enclosures do not swivel which I think is very important criteria for a DJ. The Eggos could also be an alternative but you mentioned you wanted something robust, not so sure about it's ability to withstand DJ levels of abuse. Soundwise IMO it is below the 7506.

ok im gonna settle on the 7506 cuz its been an overwhelming experience reading about it. This should be good for my portable and newbie use and ive read that it performs better with an amp, eg. more controlled bass, ...less harsher and so on.. Something i didnt know since it has such a low impedance. Lots of ppl like to pair it up with the cmoy amp but i wanna know if anybody has tried it with a meta42?...im looking for a warmer sound so i dunno which one will suit me. I suppose i'll upgrade to a dt770pro later when i feel that i have outgrown the 7506's or when i have the dough...whichever is faster tongue.gif

Naz, have u heard of the limited edition 7506's the cd9000st? Its an in house upgraded spec of the 7506 with really cool looks but its not made by sony but sony music? Really flash lookin...hehehe. Came across it while lookin thru the head-fi forums.

http://www.monomagazine.com/monoonline/scr...s/scoop/437.asp <- red wonder!

http://www.sonymusicshop.jp/cd900st/index.html

No I haven't heard of the CD9000ST this is the first time I saw them.

I have used the 7506 with both the Meier-Audio PortaCorda II & META42 headphone amps. Presently using Tangent's Mint META with AD8620 OPA & 18v (2x 9v) power. Personally I prefer the PCII as it makes the mids sound more forward. But if you like alot of bass go with the META amp. Both amps can power both headphones at loud volume without problems even the 250ohm 770pro.

Apart from the D.J.ing the ETYMOTIC ER-6 or ER-4 earphones seem to suit well. They cut out something like 20-25db of outside noise and (according to reviews) have amazing detail, good bass and comfort factor.

Good Luck!

Edited by Tenson

get an e2. it's incredible for the price. some degree of isolation is definitely guarenteed.

mine just got in today and i'm enjoying them immensely.

hey great that you're enjoying them.

Post some reviews,(against 880 also laugh.gif) will ya hoc? happy.gif

I remember when I went through this stage. I thought about it for 6 weeks before laying down the cash and now I need to put in a little work for an amp.