Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Naim Mods

It's a Mod Mod World,

Caution: mods are to be carried out on equipment where you already like the sound. The inherent circuit design. Some circuits seems to change more with changes to parts while others less so. Since I did not listen to a stock Naim (as Barradio had already changed 4 caps - the 2 golden ones and 2 others). Also, his Naim had a hardwired IC. So I guess just removing the hardwired IC and changing to RCA, we should have listened to the sound then but I did not (my mistake). So now I really can't comment on what made the improvements.

Not trying to be evasive here just the truth.

Unlike Lengcm's Sugden, where we did things in stages and listened to them. Although in hindsight, I would have changed the signal side first before proceeding to the power supply side. That would have been my instinct but things did not work out that way as the big cap came out of the grocery bag.

Actually the 1.1 would be an ideal candidate for modding - I would try op-amp rolling first before changing any of the caps to black gates. With that I need to do some research on op-amps. Or take a short cut and ask Firefox (the op-amp king LOL).

Interrupting this thread:

Just want to clarify if the BGs used were the BG NX series ... I'm planning to use these in my DAC.

Interrupting this thread:

Just want to clarify if the BGs used were the BG NX series ... I'm planning to use these in my DAC.

The Blackgates in the Rotel & Sugden are standard Blackgates. The NX series available locally doesn't come in the capacitance & voltage that was needed for the Sugden.

Ok, more than 100hrs burn-in and here is my impression. headphone.gif

More forward and bright sonic character that emphasizes the upper midrange/lower treble. That alright with the DT-880.

Much better definition and depth with a strong, precise sense of image projection.

Also higher transparency akin to clarity and reveals all aspects of detail.

Overall it very very much betters the “naim with milky sound”. w00t.gif

Thanks to the “Mod team” kicking.gif

Sony CDP-XB930E> Naim Headline (mod)>Beyer DT-880

To Barradio:

Where do you get those TKD pots? I used one on my old Gilmore and they are very nice. channel matching is very good as well.

Thanks

Jayel

To Barradio:

Where do you get those TKD pots? I used one on my old Gilmore and they are very nice. channel matching is very good as well.

Thanks

Jayel

At Larry Audio for S$50.00 and yes the channel matching is very good. biggrin.gif

blink.gif Naim close to oven? ohmy.gif

that's good wink.gif

ok hhehhe will pm u if I free to drop by and also return the 1/4 headphone plug blush.gifblush.gif

At Larry Audio for S$50.00 and yes the channel matching is very good. biggrin.gif

that's quite cheap compared to the last place where I bought them. thanks

I've read TKDs are the ones used in audio note amps. that's why I decided to use them. can't get a better recommendation than that. although the higher end audio notes uses TKD stepped attenuator. laugh.gif

Glad you like the mods.. Let me know if you feel that anything else within the amp can be improved that I did not.

The TKD is indeed a very nice pot. I'd consider it for a portable amp over the blue velvet. It's tracking is touted to be better than the blue.

Glad you like the mods.. Let me know if you feel that anything else within the amp can be improved that I did not.

Thanks, I will but for other toys to mod. tongue.gif