Sign in to follow this  
timo

newbie here.. recommend foldable closed backs?

Ok, but I don't quite understand what semi closed are. Sony Eggos? They are closed but where the silver discs are located on the enclosures looks like holes something like that maybe?

The eggos are not closed....burrowed some from a friend and the isolation isnt too impressive to say it nicely... i think the term semi-closed is pretty close but definitely not closed as people claim they are.

I have yet to get a pair of 7506 cans to listen to yet but will get back to u on that.

People have been saying that these pair are good for bassy tracks and possibly dj usage as well. One of my other reason for closed backs is that i like to be isolated from my surroundings. Makes it easier to emerse myself into the music n feel it.

I want to ask a question: you want closed because you want isolation and you want foldable because you want portability right?

Why not consider in-ear buds like Shure e1c or Shure e2c?

Edited by lekguan

The Senn HD280 pro has got some supporters as well, but its price is a little steep compared to the PX200 and V6, plus it's not foldable, but may be worth considering. These are some of the most mentioned closed phones on Head-fi, I think.

I'll have to admit that PX200 does look a lot smaller than the HD280 pro laugh.gif Haven't tried them yet. I have the 280 pro and I have the say that the sound is pretty good biggrin.gif (IMHO). The isolation is pretty good too. I use this pair in the office. The day I brought them to work my colleagues just stared at me! tongue.gif But they were silenced when they tried them and found that they couldn't hear the rest of the world! Excellent for isolating yourself and giving the person sitting next to u a big hint that he's talking too loudly! w00t.gif

Sounds interesting Bummer, what headphones have you compare them with (sound quality)?

Heh ... Sorry Naz, I dun have any other closed headphones to compare with. My other pair is the dt880, which u know is an open pair. The sound coming from both pairs are very different to begin with. But that's from the difference between closed and open.

I bought the Bose Triport for $199 last week. It's on promotion. The usual price is somewhere around $250. To my opinion, it's really good with excellent bass.

Heh ... Sorry Naz, I dun have any other closed headphones to compare with. My other pair is the dt880, which u know is an open pair. The sound coming from both pairs are very different to begin with. But that's from the difference between closed and open.

Thanks for your reply. How would you describe the sound quality of the HD280 compared with the DT880?

Heh heh ... Lekguan, u're right ... DT880 is supposed to be semi-closed or semi open laugh.gif

In my opinion, if the 280pro is closed, the 880 is "open". The sound stage for the two are vastly different.

The 280pro is true to a closed pair of headphones ... u can hear every instrument right next to you. If you've been to a recording studio, that's how it sounds. The 880, although semi-closed/open, transports you to cafe with a live band in front of you ... or a small concert hall where u have a personal performance by the orchestra. You can then place where the instruments are ...

Heh ... so to me, the 880's are "open" laugh.gif

Heh, Naz, once again I'm sorry to have to disappoint u ... I've not done a shootout between the 2 pairs biggrin.gif as I'm lazy (like my nick describes me whistling.gif ) and i tot these two are so different it would not be easy to compare.

I can tell u that I fully enjoy my experience with my 280. They are very clear and detailed. They have adequate bass as well. Being closed I like to use the 280 to figure out parts of songs. They are also very useful in letting you shut off the world and immersing yourself in your work kicking.gif

Edited by bummer