Sign in to follow this  
zuglufttier

Amp needed!

Now 275 is pretty much I think... If I can get a Rega Ear for 180 brand new. If I would know how big the difference between listening with and without an amp is, I wouldn't think too much about this. If I knew that the sound gets better, I mean really much, maybe like buying new headphones, I'd gladly spend even more than 300. But here's the prob! Many people just describe a change in sound which are only nuances and only very subtle changes. Like how much in percent would you describe the getting-better-factor with using an amp for my Sennheisers? I know that it's impossible to do this but please convice me so I can finally spend much money on new headphone gear crazylaugh.gif

How much better or difference will your HD600 sound from a headphone amp is something we cannot tell you. Everyone has a very difference preference and this may varies depending on time and your mood. We could discuss about the merits of having an headphone amp till the cows come home and at the end of the day we may still posses different preference. The only way you can verify the changes or improvement in the sound is to listen to it on your own. However please bear in mind that changes does not mean improvement.

I felt otherwise regarding HD600. Maybe it needs a good headphone amp to deliver its full potential, to me could be more details and texture in the highs and the lows. However, I ever try it on discman direct and surprisingly it is definitely listenable. At home I listen to my HD600 using the headphone jack provided by my Bryston BP25 preamp and it sounds very good to my standard.

' For many the Sennheiser HD 600 is the best dynamic headphone in the world, with a slightly laid-back but very detailed sound.

These open phones are hard to drive and only give optimal performance when driven by a headphone amplifier. ' <--- took from MEIER-AUDIO But i think u should burrow the amp from someone else to listen then u can really tell the diff .... headphone.gifw00t.gifkicking.gif

Try the Meier Audio Porta Corda II, you'd be pleasantly surprised! It's one heck of a powerful little portable amp.

If you are in the initial stages, apprehensive about spending alot of money & a newbie, start by going somewhere you can audition. If there isn't then you might have to take a small risk by getting a sarter amp.

How long have you had your HD600 for? I can assure you, if you've owned them for a while already, if you listen to them on a regular basis & if you are familiar with it's sonic character, you WILL be able to tell a major difference when you get a good quality headphone amp.

I have the HD 600s for about one year, I think... I'm using them daily for several hours. Maybe except the weekend smile.gif I've got better thinks to do then... Btw, being drunk makes listening on headphones almost impossible and your stereo always sounds worth a million dollar beer.gif This is a real cheap trick! wink.gif

Edited by zuglufttier