Sign in to follow this  
zuglufttier

Amp needed!

Hi there!

Currently I'm looking for an amp for my HD 600s. Right now I'm plugging them into my CD-player or amp. The CD player (Yamaha CDX-1050) sounds better than my amp (Harman/Kardon HK 680) bit it gives less bass... That's actually why I'm searching for an amp wink.gif The price should be somewhere around 200 Euro.

200 euro?

hm.. ok, Musical Fidelity X-cans has been known to have good synergy with hd600 because they are on the bright side while the senn is dark.

Zuglufttier, you're an European right? Which country are you from? laugh.gif

Just a couple of question before I make any recommendation.

What sort of musica do you normally listen to?

Do you intend to change the cable of the HD600?

Are you willing to buy used? If you are able to, the classified on Head-fi have alot of great used equipment for sale. As buying new & commercial for 200 Euros limits your choices.

Well, I listen to all kinds of music, really wink.gif Maybe no classic but Rock, Pop, Punk, a lot of Electronic, Blues, Metal and whatever, no real preference here. I'm always looking for genres I don't know... The amp shouldn't colour the music in any way. The problem with used stuff is that I have to get it to Germany and it is used wink.gif But anyway if you really know some very inexpensive amp, used ones included, I'm willing to give it a try. I'm not looking for a tubed amp because I don't like the idea of me sitting in my room changing tubes three days long or so biggrin.gif

Well, I listen to all kinds of music, really wink.gif Maybe no classic but Rock, Pop, Punk, a lot of Electronic, Blues, Metal and whatever, no real preference here. I'm always looking for genres I don't know... The amp shouldn't colour the music in any way. The problem with used stuff is that I have to get it to Germany and it is used wink.gif But anyway if you really know some very inexpensive amp, used ones included, I'm willing to give it a try. I'm not looking for a tubed amp because I don't like the idea of me sitting in my room changing tubes three days long or so  biggrin.gif

If you could exceed your budget a little by 75 Euros, you maybe interested in the Corda HA-1. It is a versatile amp with a 0ohm and 120ohm jack. I have tried Rameish's Corda HA1 with HD600 and the stock cable. I am shocked that it sounds pretty good.

You may wish to add another pair of headphones to your collection which is the Beyer DT 931. It is a nice pair of headphones for rock or music which require the sound to be slightly foward sounding. The DT 931 is pretty bright sounding and only from the 120 ohm jack of the HA-1 can manage to tame the brightness.

The other thing which I need to bring up is the system synergy. The setup which I audition the HA-1 was the Rotel 971 with Kimber Select 1030/1020 as the interconnect. I am not too sure regarding the synergy between your player and the Corda HA-1. If possible please do an audition.

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/

Edited by lengcm

kicking.giflol.gif Yup ha-1 is a good choice .. man .... http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/ whistling.gif

Now 275 is pretty much I think... If I can get a Rega Ear for 180 brand new. If I would know how big the difference between listening with and without an amp is, I wouldn't think too much about this. If I knew that the sound gets better, I mean really much, maybe like buying new headphones, I'd gladly spend even more than 300. But here's the prob! Many people just describe a change in sound which are only nuances and only very subtle changes. Like how much in percent would you describe the getting-better-factor with using an amp for my Sennheisers? I know that it's impossible to do this but please convice me so I can finally spend much money on new headphone gear crazylaugh.gif

all i know is that the hd600's really need a good amp to power them cause of the really high impedance. Some amps just cannot drive it i suppose.