Sign in to follow this  
Senn

Newbie needs help! Experts please help :)

Hi senn,

Just to share my personal experience, u or the rest, of course, may ignore, may disagree, etc.

Grado cans, I tried the 60 and 80 at Music by design. Played some new age cum tribal kind of music, drummy and african vocals. Connect directly to my portable mp3 player. It rocks! But, my ears felt irritating after 10 to 15 mins.

Before I got my senn 600, i borrowed a senn 590 from a colleague and listened with it for abt 1 month at office. I connect to PC line/phone out and listen to mp3 through the wmp, I was using the senn 200 b4 that and I tended to use the EQ on the wmp to do some tuning. With 590, no need of all that, I turned off the EQ. It rocks! The senn pad was ok, the can could stay on my head for abt 2 hr. Because of this, I eventually purchased the 600. Do note that it sounds diff from 600.

Sony CD3000, no idea, never try before. I have a Sony V700 though. tongue.gif

Senn, looks like close-backed cans should not top your list if U are truly against heat buildup around your ears. Seek semi-open and open cans then. I have DT831 (close)/931 (open)/880 (semi-open)/990 (open) in my arsenal and will be shipping in DT431(open)/150/250/48 (all close). As it stands, I suggest U pop by for an audition of my cans and judge the level of comfort and sound quality for yourself. This would help to narrow down your choices. In my power buy, $300 is a healthy budget for open cans.

I was always under the impression that the DT831 are open headphones until I double checked but doesn't it leak any sound out from the holes on the driver enclosures?

user posted image

I've not investigated the internal structure but I believe the enclosures with "windows" are merely cosmetic and are wholly shielded from the inside.

Ablaze,

I dont think open cans allow air to pass thru the transducers, only means the enclosure of the headphones transducers is not sealed.

Anyways I'm mistaken on which cans it is, the one i broke/tried/sweated it out in isn't the 890, its some closed model, dont remember which one tho...

Edited by fishball79

The Sony MDR-F1 & AKG K1000 will allow air to pass though!

We should call these "Hanging Speakers of Babylon"! lol.gif

Edited by Mackie