Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Black CD-Rs

i bought melody black diamond $15 25pcs

The cheapest CD-R u can get is 100pcs for about $27. unlabelled (2 sides all silver). Ultra low grade ones, but so far i use for 1 yr no decay no burning problem.

yes i tried the ATF shops in SLS but cannot find.

maybe i will just try melody for now.

If you still can't find any by January I bring over during the meet for you Sipher. Remind me again.

Leck I assume you don't know specifically about the Memorex & TDK prices.

thanks N@Z!

i was thinking about asking u to bring some for me tongue.gif

will remind u again happy.gif

I read the article in NST, look up the Genesis article and decided to try the black CD-R. I must say that I am already a believer in "black" benefiting CDs since I use the "Auric Illuminator" CD tratement (highly recommended IMHO) which consists of a black pen to color the inside and outside rims of CDs and a cleaning solution. I found that coloring the Inner/Outer rims of CD can improve the sound (better detail). Hence the reaosn why I was keen to find out if the black CD offered similar or greater improvement.

I bought 10 Melody Black Diamond CDs in SLS for $6 (cheap). I downloaded EAC and burn several CDs (4X, accurate mode) in uncompressed format. There is definitely a difference in sound through my main rig as compared to the original !

In general, I found that the Melody CD-R have a warmer, mellower sound than the original. Sound is less bright/forward (less sibilance and etch to the leading edges). Bass is rounder ... perhaps softer.

So, the question: which is better...original or Melody Black CD-R ?

Well, I quite like the presentation of the black CD-R, in general. It has a more ... analogue sound, if you will. Is it better than the original ? In my main rig, NO. Reason is because with my main system, I do not find original CDs bright nor hard nor edgy nor sibilant. Although the Black CD-R have a mellower and warmer presentation, I found this a little too much in my system which is tube based and my speakers (Silverline Sonatina II) are known for their smooth and warm sound already.

However, I am now switching to the Melody Black CD-R for my portable CD player and here I find that the warmer, mellower sound suits the portable player better.

In summary, I am impressed by the difference in sound that the Black CD-R makes (must be black on both Data and Label side. Some CDs like Sony and Imation are black only on label side). This reinforces my findings with the Auric Illuminator. I like that fact that the sound is less hard and edgy but the softness can be too much. I think that CD copying by itself (especially from PC with noisy switching power supply, transfer to HDD etc) cannot yield a better result intrinsically and perhaps the softness in sound could be due to jitter and other distortion introduced by the copying process (??). I look forward to orginal CDs made with all black disks. Should be cheaper that the gold disk versions which typically costs more that the standard alumium substrate.

I remember that the Sony's Platstation discs are all black and they are the first manufacturer to use the black substrate for all their original titles. What could be their reasons? biggrin.gif

well this is a million question i wanna ask sony ... about the games cd laugh.gif ... but was a trade mark for the first ... console game to have a black disc so it cool but is not done on the PS2 .. which is blue (normal cd) and DVD rom is silver or gold .... anyway if possible N@Z the coming meet if you are coming can bring some black cd-r if i was unable to get in sing ? thanks cos reading all the threads here make me temp to try out kicking.gif

thanks whistling.gif

new type: u can get memorex cd-rs in sim lim sq.. go look for it

ok thanks ... one fine day after my 'O's ... then i make a trip down ... but how much .. it cost ? got to buget for my upgrades .. later thanks laugh.gif

thanks

N3w_Typ3 lol.gif

new type: u can get memorex cd-rs in sim lim sq.. go look for it

where?! i cant seemed to find memorex in SLS

although i did found some "Maxmax" brand which looks like memorex...

Sure, let me know closer to January if you still need it. I might get some for myself as well. In the mean time should you need something sooner why not try the cheaper melody black diamond $15 @ 25pcs as recommended by lekguan seems worth a try at a very affordable price. The more impressions the better.

black magic??? w00t.gif

black cd-r can have so much diffrence sonically....

but i think burner important, cd-r, source equally important.

i and friend did 1 experiment b4, use comp to burn an audio cd-r,

and use a standalone cd philips cd recorder to burn. the difference is so much that i almost think that the cd is original one.