Rameish

A Headphone Guide

Here's a short list of headpohones that I have personally owned or used over an extended period using several different amplifiers. Please note the all important aspect of system synergy including, but not limited to, interconnects and power cords. I will not be providing a blow by blow account of each headphone with different amps etc. Suffice to say, I am stating what I believe to be the inherent sonic signature. NOTE: Please audition before buying anything (where possible).

In the below S$100 corner we have:

1) Sony MDR-E 888 LP - nice all rounder but a bit anemic sounding. Strengths: Portability, Sound, Cost Weakness: Doesn't fit the ear very well, can sound changes as you move your head about as the bud doesn't sit very well.

2) Philips HP-890 - a bit laid back sounding, has a silimar signature to HD-600 (but not as linear and full-bodied)

Moving up one level to tbe below S$200 cat:

1) Grado SR-60 - a great pair of cans for the money (S$120). Has a near-stage presentation. Sounds harsh next to its elder sibling the S$170 Grado SR-80

2) Grado SR-80 - does everthing an SR-60 does but better. IMO save up for the SR-80 as the S$50 difference is well worth it.

3) Sony V6 (aka 7056) - the closed cans alternative to the Grado SR-60 or SR80. Not nearly as nice but if you need closed cans for whatever reason and can't afford anything better then by all means audition one. Built like a tank :-)

Moving up one level to the below S$300 cat

1) Sennheiser HD-570. Very well balaned can with nice rez (very different sound to the Senn HD-600). Family resemblance to the more expensive HD-590 (but the 590 isn't worth the extra money IMO).

2) Beyer DT-831 (I believe these can be had for just below S$300 - I may be wrong on this)

A bit bright for my tastes but very musical sounding headphone. A tad grainy sounding as well.

3)Beyer DT-250 (250 ohms version). The closed cans for Sennheiser HD-600 lovers. A bit dark sounding. Not as resolving as the DT-831 but better built.

4) Grado SR-125: Excellent val;ue for the money and probably one of the best cans for stuff like rock, heavy metal. This is a speed demon and its fast pace leaves most other cans behind. If you like to groove with your headphones, bobbing you head and get your feet tapping this is the one.

Reaching for the sky Above S$300 but below S$400

1) Beyer DT-931 (my personal favourite) Can sound a bit grainy and a bit bright (less bright than the DT-831 above).

2) Beyer DT-150 (another favourite of mine). This closed can togeter with the slightly cheaper Beyer DT-831 represents the 2 closed headphones that I would consider if I needed a closed can. They sound quite different though. The DT-150 can sound quite dry but accurate (sometimes I feel this robs the music of it's flavour while the DT-831 can be just a bit too hot (bright) for my liking. Verdict's out on which is "better" FOR ME. LOL

3) Grado SR-225: In typical Grado fashion it does everthing the SR-125 does but does it better (not different). It has more legato and is an altogether more refined (it doesn't look that way in the specs sheet - the only difference is the tighter transducer matching). My personal favourite in the Grado line up.

What about those above S$400 you ask. Well, enough has been discussed about those cans and at those prices, you better be confident enough to buy one without a guide.

However here's the usual suspects:

Closed: Etymotic 4P (excellent for portability and isolation), Sony CD-3000 (I like it). Audio Technica W-1000 (I like it but less than the CD-3000)

Open: Beyer DT-880, Sennheiser HD-600, Grado SR-325 (my least liked of the top 3 Grados). Grado RS-2 and Grado RS-1.

Please note: This is not a review just a guide to stop all those PMs asking me what I think about this or that.

Happy Listening

The dt150 piques my interest. They really look quite ugly to me.. but all these talk about them sounding quite nice leave me with no option but to give them a listen hee:P.

Personally I really like the dt250 for the closed can category <$300. Of course, I concur that the V6 is a value for money closed can and built like a tank.

Like U, I can't wait to get my hands/ears on DT150/250 due for arrival on Thurs/Fri. The fugly look of DT150 doesn't perturb me if it sounds good...call me a contrarian. tongue.gif

Edited by Mackie

Used to hate the Grado SR125 for it's harshness. But I'm glad that I gave it a chance on the PPA and it really shine. Agree that it's fast pace and good rythm..

Used to hate the Grado SR125 for it's harshness. But I'm glad that I gave it a chance on the PPA and it really shine. Agree that it's fast pace and good rythm..

Good on you JT. Remember to bend the headband to make it more comfortable.

Unlike most here, I love the look of the DT150. Maybe I'm old fashioned, which is odd coming from a gadget freak.

Mostly agree with your comments Rameish (on the headphones that I do own) but I did note a few differences in my opinion especially the DT250 which I didn't think is particularly dark sounding. The DT931 I didn't find bright but I don't own this one so I can't say for sure. This might be due to my bright sounding source.

You'll soon know how ugly the ducking is. Plus the PVC earpads (though comfortable and very durable) don't do too well outside a non air-con room (unless you live in Sweden of somthing). LOL

remember to include berning , emp and the likes w00t.gifw00t.gif

They don't qualify as Rameish doesn't own them. Unless that changes in the near future. wink.gif

Although I was fortunate enough to have the Zotl and EMP over at my place for an extended time I come from this school thought "different doesn't mean it's better". Hence I really didn't have the time to write any reviews. Suffice to say I liked both. EMP is alot warmer/lush sounding.