Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

DT431

Do you mean Hung bros still have 431s?

How much did you pay for it?

Yes it is indeed very good, its lightweight and bright(although slightly too bright for me) signature is very nice. Its also very laidback, as such does not distract you from what you are doing. Its a little sibilant though. Details are not bad for such a pair of phones. But I do feel that most of the other cans will do better than this one in vocals. YMMV.

Do you mean Hung bros still have 431s?

How much did you pay for it?

Yep, I got them from Hung. I paid $179 for them. Anyway, the sibilance has died down a bit. The brightness is still there, but the SSSS in the voices have faded off slightly. I played trance and dance music whole day since yesterday. I have now switched to piano pieces, which I think this unit handles quite well.

You are right, these cans can't do vocals very well. I think the vocals does sound recorded. I mean, of course they are recorded but you don't get that live and next to you feeling. I was wondering if it was the cables I am using to hook up the source to the amp. I didn't spend money buying a mini-phono to RCA so I am using a pair of Nordost Flatlines I have at home with a phono-RCA al-cheapo $3 convertor. The cables are known to impart a certain degree of brightness to most system setups I have used before so I am wondering if they are causing it.

Hm, any idea how many more pieces of stock do they have? May I check if they look exactly like the one in the photos I posted, because Rameish got a pair that looks somewhat different (pads and stuff).

For vocals I would have to say this pair of cans has a midrange suckout, as such contributing to its laidback(sounds far away) signature. Then again the laidback signature makes the soundstage seems very wide. Not trying to cause some upgraditis bug here, but maybe if u have the time, try out the DT931 and tell us if you do like it.

Don't worry too much first. Let them burn in for 100hrs and then after that you can start playing around with I/Cs and such.

Yes indeed they are great even for the price you paid. An advice: turn the volume down and the sibilance/sharpness will be less apparent.

Welcome to team DT431. You are the third member in our forum. and our country probably has the most members in team 431. (Few heard of it and nearly no looks up to it). We might be doing some operation on it at the end of the year if we have the time.

Edited by lekguan

I am not sure how many pieces they have left. My unit exactly the same as yours. I liked the DT431s in Hung's shop. I hope this unit I have will ease itselft into that kind of sound. smile.gif

Thanks for all the advice. It's great. I am learning to make the most out of this pair. It's still great, not trashing it. Wow, I am the third only? haha. Actually, no need for pple to look up to it or hear about it. Honestly, music is like a pair of jeans, you like it, you wear them for the longest time. And because you like it. Even your brother (as in, real brother) may not like it the way you like it. Bottomline, it's personal. If you like it, it's the best in the world.

But of course, maybe because haven't tried the rest. laugh.gif

Btw, did I read here that the foam pads are made from some kind of memory foam that shapes itself to your head after a while?

That's it, my wifey is not touching the phones anymore. laugh.gif

peekarwe: It may be a sweeping statement but I personally find Nordost cables lean sounding but fast and tight. If U are able to borrow or buy a pair of Klotz GY107 (cables available at Hung Bro-SLS and LHS-SLT) and terminate them with either Neutriks or Canare RCA plugs, U might find its warmth and fuller bodied sound (esp in the mids and upper bass) to your liking. Treble is slightly rolled off with this cable though.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie, you are dead right about Nordost cables. They *are* lean. Brings out too much of the brightness in a system. But I find them totally unmatched to systems which are sounding bright out of the box.

Anyway, your suggestion sounds like a solution for me now. The setup is currently a little harsh on the highs, and if it rolls the treble off, even better. Are those DIY cables? I can't seem to get my stuff done right when I do DIY so I prefer to buy them ready made. LHS at SLT has these? May I trouble you to let me know which floor the shop is on?

Yes, U can buy the cable and get it terminated by Robert at LHS. Most selected the Neutrik plugs for this cable but a cheaper Canare plugs would do the job just as well. I think the former costs around $10 each and the latter about $7. LHS is situated on the second floor of SLT.

Shucks... I should have gone to SLS later today... couldn't wait and went down and now back to office already. Ok, I will remember this and go there on thursday after I am back in town. Anyway, how much would the entire thing cost? 3 plugs + cables eh?

Realised that the Klogs can't fit into a mini-plug. Oh well, I guess the choice is to go for the monster cable mini-plug to RCA. I didn't quite like monster cables last time, but I think I will give it a try anyhow. I still like something to tame the DT431s down at the treble range.

peekarwe, if U've already gotten the Klotz cable terminated with RCA plugs, U can consider buying a Daiyo or equivalent RCA-mini plug jumper wire. Otherwise, a monster cable terminated as such is deemed suitable for it usually sounds less aggressive on the top and fuller at the bottom. Transparency is not its forte though.

You can try buying a 2 female RCA - male mini connector.

The other way is to get other cables like Canare, belden, klotz or mogami mic cables.

For the mini use Canare F12. Since you only need 2 RCA you can splurge on better ones.

... it usually sounds less aggressive on the top and fuller at the bottom. Transparency is not its forte though.

Heh heh...sounds like the PX200 I am listening to right now as I type out this mesasge. I think the DT431s are the opposite extreme (bright topend, thin on the lows and relatively transparent) of the PX200. Of course, they are in different leagues altogether.