Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

DT431

yeah..

I think by next year the dt431 will not sound as good as it is anymore tongue.gif and you'll be having thought of an upgrade.

Don't forget that you'll be attending a meet whereby your virgin ears will be exposed to the brutality of all the high end equipments smoke.gifsmoke.gif

Edited by Blues

OMG, the paint on the right grille a little, very small bit, coming off already. Therefore I think it won't take long for the rest to. Wonder if it is possible to do a paint job. Anyone?

Oh dear........but I shouldn't be too perturbed if I were U. Let the blue paint disintegrates on its own and U'll be left with the underlying black tone. I reckon it will look more "pro" after that.

Edited by Mackie

Rameish, do post something here when you are free(I know you are real busy) and they are well used enough!

Good luck on the peeling paint. Hehe! tongue.gif

Hrm listened to amd's pair during the recent meet.. and I have to say it sounds pretty good..

laidback, smooth..

Lek will do but mine is not burnt in as yet. I am burning it using real music and am listening to it as well. Out of the box it sounds good - not as good as the DT-931 but good. Comfort factor is also high. And yes mine has a rust spot on one of the grills as well.

Well ok here's a small update.

I am currently listening to headphonecrazy's MAD + and the DT-431 = very nice but the DT-431 still has a somewhat lightweight sound. Will try with the DT-931 and report back in a few days time if I have the chance.

IMHO, the 431 is still more lightweight than the 931, and the 931 is more engaging + more full bodied than the 431. 431 is good for working, when you want to be able to concentrate on your work.

They sound medium-light weight but i think they're also similar to dt990 as sound signature - bass is surely not as overwhelming as is on the dt990 , but definitely the bass to mid bass frq. is there ( for sure it's not flat and controlled as is with the dt880 )

They 're tonal balanced and a little on the bright side and they sound good paired with burr brown op amp .

Pair also very well with warm hp out of pdcps .

I'd say I've been quite happy having these hp with me

My mod : to distance the drivers from the ears : I've filled the under-pads chambers contour with a soft material , in order to thick it and to stay more far from ears . Also I've enlarged the headband keeping it very stretched for 2 days , so that i can wear them without noticing them around my ears now .

Last word to say : comfort is great .

Edited by boodi

Yikes, to hear that the 431s and 531s are superseded not very nice on the day I bought a pair of 431s. laugh.gif haha. Anyway, I went to Hung bros today bent on testing out the Philips HP1000. When I went in, I asked about some of the new Sens there, 515, 555, 595, IIRC. I tried out the 515. Not very comfortable for me. And the sound didn't get to me. I believe it's because it's a very new set and not quite burnt in, but even then, didn't stir anything at all. I suppose the 595s would be better but unfortunately, definitely wun spend on it, so skip.

I asked for the HP1000, and seeing it, got slightly put off by the huge size and techy looking band and all. It looks too much like something a gadget geek would love, drawing more attention to it with the nice box and brushed aluminium plates all over, rather than the sound. Nevermind, looks are secondary. Tried it, very short while, so dun shoot me. Harsh sounding. Complicated tracks. Clarity is there, hard edge with vocals and highs I give it that it could be new cans. But the sound sounded really busy. Imagine 6 instruments playing, then hearing only the loudest and the rest are there somewhere, dunno where. Very busy sound and music passage. Something like I say it's sound put together, not music. Not emotional, just well rehearsed presentation. Disappointed. sad2.gif

Got recommended a pair of DT431s. Boss handed me a pair of 431 which I could tell has been lying around for a while. First listen and I gave it my heart. I could think of a few other characteristics but the one that stood out the most was the layering of the music. Imagine a song starting with 1 instrument. Decent headphones could handle one instrument easily. The next comes in, you place it next to the first. The bass drums comes in, and you hear 3 instruments placed in front of you, at their respective position. Vocals kick in and the instruments are playing in total coherence to support it. The music is so beautifully layered... so sweet so smooth. It didn't come across to me as hard hitting, presentation wasn't so in your face kind but more like very soothing. Between the HP1000 and 431, there was simply no comparison.

Bought it, now at home with it. 6 hours burnt in, observations as such:

1. I am getting impatient. I want that sound which I heard in the demo unit. I want it now.

2. Siblance observed.

3. The vocals are a little edgy. Not the most soothing voices I heard in the shop. Like I said, I want that now! When the singer sings: "Shi4 Jie4 Ru2 Ci1 Kuan1..." You will heard the sssss in the shi4 and cccc in Ci1. Dun like that. Hope it goes away.

4. Layering is still apparent and can tell the potential.

5. Resolution is good. But as mentioned earlier, the siblance and edginess must go, or the brightness will remain a weakness and the apparent resolution will become an apparent nuisance.

6. Went through Diva Dance, heard something through the phones which startled me! At the 0:53-0:54 mark, there were two knocks which I thought came from my roof ceiling and someone was tapping on the floor above me with a stick. I had to rewind a bit and heard that it's actually from the music. Hair stood. Resolution is good. Oh, I have said that already?

Edited by peekarwe