Sign in to follow this  
zap

Good compact integrated amp/cdp/radio for office

I kennaed "carrot head" by them because I was caught completely off guard by the cheaper(than the ridiculous euro price quoted for the 220v version)price and sort of forgot to bargain.

To add insult to injury, they sold the Model 1 at $200 during the latest hi-fi exhibition.

I like the idea of the Tivoli PAL because of the battery powered capability but it looks a little plain compared with the classic design of the Tivoli Model 1. Looks particularly elegant in white or Classic Walnut.

wait, check the denon dcm-31 first before doing anything.

i'm very sorry i have no linkages or no pricing info but iirc i saw it selling for sg500 once at sls ground floor.

Thanks adhoc. Do you or anyone here has any experience on the sound quality of the dm31 coming out through a headphone?

i believe no one here on this forum has experience with the dcm31.

however, if it makes any difference, What Hi-Fi magazine gives it a full five stars and declares it better than it's predeccessor, the dcm30, which was a award-winning product.

basically, IMO, for that price and style, you cant go wrong. the sound quality (IMO) should be at the very least decent-good.

Hi Headphonecrazy,

You're right. http://www.tdctrade.com/imn/03091803/consu...sumerele019.htm

Well, if you happen to pass by any radio factories in Southern China, "tomp-pang" one Model 1 (Black), please!

tongue.gif

[Edit: Recently, I was in China and found the latest Nike backpack Epic 1 (Made in China) but was disappointed to find the China Nike shops selling for the same price as advertised in US. Guess the price control is quite strict. Dunno if Tivoli is as strict.)

Did you ask Alpha Audio the price of Model 1? (Now I think they try to "kotok" me!) ohmy.gif

Cheers!

Scriberex

OK if the price is right wil even buy one / two for the bedroom biggrin.gif

i happen to have the denon DM7 which is the big brother of the range 2 generations ago. IE dm3->dm30->dm31. the speakers and amp are very good for the price but not too sure about the tuner as i haven't had much experience with tuners. got the dm7 for $600 many years ago from people's audio at people's park... they were my first venture into hifi. yes.gif

oh regarding the headphone out, i remembered it being muddy and lifeless out of my dm7 even through my untrained ears many years back. i stucked with portables for headphone and denon for speakers back then. no.gif

Edited by evil-zen

After reading reviews on the web and thanks to Av98m's recommendation, I recently plonked down S$280 for a Blue Tivoli PAL at Unicorn at Adelphi (Yes, the shop name is correct.). (Thanks to Headphonecrazy's advice on prices in earlier post.)

Had been wrestling with whether to go for the Model 1 or PAL, and finally decided that the portability factor made the extra S$80 or so worth it, despite the other pros of Model 1, i.e. nicer retro look, reportedly better reception and sound.

No regrets. kicking.gif

Love the PAL's fun retro colours and 5:1 ratio tuning knob. (Feels like you're in a safe-cracker movie every time you switch channels). cool.gif

Reception is great if you're not too enclosed. E.g. Unicorn's location in Adelphi generates too much static for most channels except some mandarin channel. My office/cubicle in town also generates static and needs the antannae to be fully extended and shifted around before getting acceptable signal. Great reception elsewhere. Local channels are crystal clear, even the Malaysian JB radio channels sound really clear.

The mono speaker gives pretty rich and full sound. Good mix of bass and treble. No problem filling my study, bedroom or shower room.

The input socket allows my ipod to use it as a portable speaker. Can't quite notice any distortion at higher volumes. I play mainly jazz on my ipod and it sounds great.

The PAL apparently works as a portable stereo amp too, though I haven't quite listened to it enough through earphones to give a clear critique.

Battery life is great! Can play for hours without any drop in sound quality. Haven't quite tested the battery from full to drained, though. Depends in volume, I'm advised by the shop.

Cons?

I was a bit surprised that the adapter comes with a rather short cord (Edit: 2 meters, just checked), adequate but it does limit your placement options without an extension wire. But then again, the battery life is pretty good, so it can last most of the day easily without charging.

Price could be cheaper considering the online price of US$129 pricetag for the US version. But add the price of postage and a 220v adapter, probably works out about the same. Considering the GBP 129 pricetag for the 220v version, IMHO, don't seem too bad to buy locally either. Dunno about comparing with China factory kangtows, though! rolleyes.gif

I'm wondering if there are any workarounds to attach the usual hi-fi radio antennae to the pull-up telescopic antannae, to give the PAL the extra reach. Any advice?

Cheers!

Scriberex

Edited by Scriberex

Thanks Headphonecrazy.

Um.. Sorry, me non-tech/engineer. You mean scv wall socket or power socket? ZAP!!!

Is there an accessory I can buy from some audio or diy shop?

I was wondering if clipping the usual Hifi cable antennae to the telescopic antennae would do the trick.

Generally happy with the reception so not planning any surgery on my radio! laugh.gif

Thanks.

Scriberex

Yes, to the SCV wall socket. They should have a separate one for your radio/tuner. You can first try the connection by just wiring this point directly to your PAL's telescopic antenna with a bare single wire - there should be some biggrin.gif improvement.

Nice impressions. Which colour did you get? stereo.gif

Headphonecrazy. How much your kangtow can get? wink.gif