red_ryder

Question about mp3s

For mp3s encoded at bitrates higher than 128, e.g. 192 or 320, would it sound better if I listen to the mp3s directly via my soundcard and cans or if I burned it as an audio CD and listen via my cd player/amp?

The reason I ask is because my soundcard is pretty crappy for listening to music (SBlive value), and I'm trying to decide if I should buy a new soundcard or just continue to burn the mp3s as audio cds.

buy soundcard will save your money in the long run

Which do you use more often, the soundcard source or CD player? There should be your answer.

IMO, using low bitrate MP3s with a good soundcard and headphones means u cannot stand it. Last time using integrated soundcard to my Altec lansing 621, I could listen to 128Kbps quite ok. Now I changed my soundcard to creative sb digital music and I use Beyerdynamic DT431, and if you listen to a song, and you think its sound is bad, you check, it will 90% the time be 128kbps.

for me mp3s must be at least 192kbps.. I still can stand 128 though, but just that 192 is nicer to these ears.

Anyway I used to hook up my creek obh-11/se and dt770 to the lappy soundcardjack(yamaha). And to think I'd been living with it for quite sometime.. tongue.gif

Actually mp3s are not all that bad. Lossless+good soundcard is the way to go if u r that type who spend most of ur time infront of the pc.

yep, blues, you are now started to be converted into one who spends hours in front computer.

You are getting sleepy, so sleepy, sleepy, sleepy...

You don't want a3 any more, not any more, no more a3...

lek wants it, lek, he wants it, yes, must give a3 to lek...

Wake up!

Ok, give me your a3 for free now.

Sure lek from tomorrow onwards it's yours laugh.giflaugh.gif

just hand me the cash and it will be yours okay haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

wahaaaaa .... lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

lol.gif

I agree that a good soundcard makes a lot of difference but you also have to factor in what bitrates you encode the song in as well. If you encode in 192 or more, you will benefit more from an upgrade of yer soundcard.

For a 192 and higher encoded mp3, and I convert it to audio CD, do I lose any quality?

If you dl the songs *ahem*, please do not expect high quality. Very few are. Some are fakes, eg they are low bitrate encoded to a higher bitrate, so quality is still teh same as a lower bitrate. Some are encoded using low quaity encoder. In that case, a soundcard might not be too wise. Go grabs some original albums for yourself.

If they are already orignal albums ripped, use LAME encoder at alt preset extreme. Should give you relatively good results with a small file size. But if possible, use lossless. If its the former case, *ahem*, I ahve nothing to say