Sign in to follow this  
av98m

Plainview 9Vs - initial Impressions

I ordered 2 pairs of planview 9vs from Norm of Headsave to use with my Tempo amp. I use the GP 9v charger(the one that looks like a mouse and comes with 2 170mAh 9vs). The first pair was charged for 14 hours, and both measured 11.07v right out from the charger. After 1 day(and 2 hours worth of use), they measured about 9.89v. I repeated the voltage measurement for the next 2 days. By the end of the 3rd day, the plainviews measured 9.38v. When I saw the reading falling to less than 9.6v, I was thinking that the batteries should die soon, and sure enough, I left the amp running from my pcdp and when I returned 45 minutes later, I found the led light off and no sound coming out from my headphones.

Summary:

1. The Plainviews lasted 6+ hours in the Tempo, and measured above 9 volts till they died.

2. It looks like they work as advertised! Constant voltage above 9 volts and then sudden dropoff just before running out of juice.

3. I used the GP 6v charger as it claims a charging current of 24 mAh, same as the plainview charger. Other GP chargers put out 15mAh.

Plus the mouse design looks cute.

4. The Plainviews are much heavier than the GP 9vs, probably because there are more cells in the plainview batteries, hence the 9.6v rating.

5. Please note that these are first impressions, I will be measuring the 2nd pair and will update this thread when possible.

Plainviews can be ordered from Norm(Tigger) from Headsave for 10usd each, before shipping.

P.S. Rameish, if you're interested to run your own tests on them I can pass you one pair. PM me. wink.gif

Edited by av98m

av98m, so you did not get the Plainview charger and the GP battery charger work fine?

One question :

Can the GP charger (assuming it's a dual battery charger) charge both plainviews simultaneously?

Some pics will be good too, so as not to get confused with the numerous GP chargers that are available, Cheers

I found it at the hardware store in great world city basement(where the food court, cold storage and that cd shop is located) tongue.gif

Costs about $30, includes charger and 2 9v batts.

Hi Av98m,

How about posting your impressions on the Headsave Tempo, and some pics if possible?

I'm quite curious and tempted!

Thanks.

Scriberex

That'll have to wait till the weekend. My screwdrivers are too big to open up the Tempo's casing. wink.gif

And I haven't had the Tempo long enough to arrive at a conclusion.

i'm using the GP 9v 170mAH with the mouse charger as well, measured the batt at just over 9v from the first charge (abt 14hrs) that first batt just die today, it lasted abt 3 days thats abt 3 to 4 hrs of play-time on my Cmoy yes.gif i measure the voltage at 8.5v

the Cmoy was sounding distorted at that voltage, the menu from the charger says it will reach full performance after 4 or 5 charges

now to try the second batt hammer.gif can i get the Plainview 9v batts locally? mellow.gif

Great results. Was the 6 hours continuous use or on & off total?

We don't have that charger here, so far all I've found are the 15mAh ones so it might not work as well.

It was on, off total, used on the way and back from work.

I'll have to use them for another week for a more accurate look at how they perform.

P.S. As far I as know, you can't get Plainviews locally.

Edited by av98m

av98m, keep us informed on you findings please. A week of 10~12 cycles should be enough to give a consistent evaluation. Looking forward to it wink.gif

The Plainviews are not available in Singapore IIRC, it was discussed before in a previous thread. There was a hint of a powerbuy but the concessions are pretty negligible really. Maybe save on shipping costs only. If there is more interest I think we can do something. So anybody up for reviving the powerbuy?

Depending on the interest generated, I might be interested to get a pair.

Does SG customs charge tax on batteries? Over here they do & if bought in larger quantities it may become a bit of a problem.

Guys, make sure you hold off on the powerbuy until I finish my testing by the end of next week. I don't want people to spend money only to be disappointed.

As far as I know there is no tax on batteries(but I could be wrong, my package was declared as headphone amp, and made no mention of batteries). The only tax I know is the $%*&^#@ GST for declared value of over 400sgd.

Edited by av98m

Batteries are categorised as spare parts by customs therefore will command a hefty 20% duty. Maybe you can be our mediator/liason for the Powerbuy when the time comes. wink.gif