Sign in to follow this  
av98m

Plainview 9Vs - initial Impressions

For what its worth, just to confirm that there are no import or excise duties on batteries (or for that matter, hi-fi equipment) into Singapore, except GST where applicable, of course. tongue.gif

My 2nd pair of Plainviews in my Tempo ran out of juice on the way home yesterday. Sound was abruptly cut off, without any noticeable degradation in sound quality before the batteries died. So it looks like the Plainviews are good to the last drop? I've now switched to my GPs to see what happens when they run low.

If you haven't recharged the Plainviews can you check with a multimeter the remaining voltage whether it has actually reached 0v?

Just checked, they measure about 8v! What the heck??? But I did get about 6 hours runtime with them. I tried putting them back into the tempo and turned it on, it could play music well for a few seconds, then died again. Still measures about 8v. Hmmm........

Edited by av98m

Shouldn't be a problem, that shows the Plainviews can maintain the high voltages at a constant. Which is good for battery powered amps application rolleyes.gif

If I'm not mistaken, I read this in a forum somewhere that the Plainviews cuts off at a certain voltage. I think this is what av98m is experiencing, the batteries only operates at its optimum capacity at 9-9.2v and not below that.

Yup, sorry my bad about the 0v.

av98m, any updates?

Well, my Tempo with the GPs inside this time has just cut off all sound. I measured the GPs at about 7v each. There was no clipping before the sound died.

Conclusion? If its really important to you to have constant 9v power, go for the plainviews. If not, you can get by with the GPs.

I had similar results to you with the GP batteries only they cut off between 6v~7v. Could it be that the design of the META/PIMETA does not allow for it to operate below that voltage unlike other DIY amps like CMOY, CHA47 Porta Corda & SuperMini/Micro.

Could be, I'll email Norm and ask him. If thats the case its a good thing, we don't have to put up with degraded sound before the batteries run out.

Wait hang on, that didn't make sense. The Planviews cut off at 9+ volts, the GPs cut off at 6+ to 7vs, hhmmm..............

Edited by av98m

my GPs didn't cut off in the cmoy, it just got distorted

now testing with cha47 & micro cmoy, but i think the results should be same as cmoy sleep.gif

Well, I think I'll finish up this thread by repeating my earlier comments.

1. You want constant, true 9 volt power, get the Plainviews.

2. If you can live with the lower voltages from GPs or Energizers, then no need to spend the extra money and go through the hassle of getting them from overseas.

3. Use the GP mouse-charger if you're getting the Plainviews as they put out the same charging current(or at least claim to) as the Plainview charger(24mah), and they're designed to charge 9V batteries in pairs. The other GP chargers(which can charge AAs and AAAs as well) are underpowered, charging at only 10mah if you charge in pairs, in which case you're likely to charge the Plainviews till the cows come home. I've only seen the mouse charger at the DIY store in Great World City basement.

Either way I highly recommend the GP mouse charger, it's small, looks cute, the 2 green eyes light up when charging, looking very nice at night, the 2 170mah 9Vs it comes with make up the 'ears' when plugged into the charger. Because its the one GP charger designed only for 9Vs, it charges them faster than the other multi-position chargers. tongue.gif

Rameish has my other pair of Plainviews in his RA-1 clone. We'll see if he has any additional comments when he's done with them.

Edited by av98m