Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Beyerdynamic DT150 headphones

You're very welcome Q00. However note that I have not recommended people to go out & buy yet it because of some of my concerns which I hope will be addressed once I've put in at least another 100 hrs of burn-in. I would still prefer you tread carefully & if given the opportunity to audition do so with your 7506 as comparison to ensure that you will like the difference in sound.

I will definitely be waiting without a doubt for the meet for the chance to audition the dt150 and compare it to my 7506's as well...

Naz owns more than a couple of cans and like him, I found the sound of 150 unlike any other from the Beyer range and possibly beyond this make.

One thing of note, I find it very, very easy to discern the sonic characters of every cable, interconnects, and of course, cdps and amps with DT150. Being a monitor, it will be helpful to anyone who wishes to fine tune their systems. What pitfall one hears from this can may be inherent with the accessory/ancillary upstream. Happy tuning.

I have to insist an audition of the 150 more than any other cans as its either a love or hate-it situation.

Edited by Mackie

I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't like the DT150 sound. It certainly sounds very different from all the headphones I have owned. I left it running overnight using my PC playing a burning-in track I ripped into a wav file. Hmm... maybe it's my imagination or I'm beginning to get used to it's character as it seems to sound a little nicer than previously & so far the boxy sound is not as immediately noticeable. I'm gonna see(hear) how the sound changes everyday as I continue burning it in.

N@Z, now u are tempting me by saying it's not that uncomfortable wearing it in a well-ventilated room. tongue.gif

OK blues, here's a brief comparison between the DT250.

DT250 has crisper & airier sound. It sounds brighter too to me. At the same volume level (6 click on the MG Head) they also have significantly less bass but bass extension is there. Oddly, initially it sounds nasaly until my ears reaccustomed from the sound of the DT150. Presentation is almost the same, i.e. forward. I hate to admit it but at the moment I feel this sound suits me better due to the crisper, airier & less agressive sound. Maybe I am just too used to the laid back HD600 which sounds closer to the DT250.

Physically the DT250 is alot lighter & less dominating on the head. The pads though smaller in internal size is more comfortable due to the softer sponge material, velour trim & less clamping force. However it feels warmer after longer periods of use (Sipher tongue.gif ). DT150 reminds me of wearing the HD600 with the clou cables fitted, although it's not really heavy, it's presence is felt on your head.

Picture the scene, after coming home from work...

DSC00016.jpg

what a cosy chair for listening to headphones! w00t.gifw00t.giftongue.gif

thanx for the comparison! party.gif

How comfy is it you may want to ask... well, so far, the past few days I have dozed off on it while listening to music on headphones. Sheer bliss on shady days with a cool breeze coming in caressing & lulling me into nirvana!

oh yeah N@Z... i met headphonecrazy today... super nice fella btw... at the post office... he was sending you your amp hahahaha... so i guess u can expect it in the next few days...

start making regular checks with the post office!

Sipher, yup. stereo.gif

Q00, cool. Sam's da man!!! If I'm lucky it will arrive before Hari Raya but I expect not later than a week after that.

After another +48hrs on top of the 200hrs pre-burn-in... there appears to be a noticeable change. Less agressive than previously, less dry sounding. However it's still not as crisp sounding as I want it to be, the 'iron fist in satin gloves' punchy bass is still there & the boxy sound although not completely eradicated is less noticeable. Maybe I'm just beginning to get used to the sound?

On the end of the 1st track of the Sigur Ros - Agaetis Bryjun CD I had to take off the DT150 just to make sure that really wasn't an aeroplane passing by.

Gosh !!! w00t.gifw00t.gif

i had a brief audition with the dt 150 at hung brothers today.

it's better than my dt 880 and somemore it's a new set.

it was powered by a Creek OBH-21SE(cant really remember the model number)

the bass is good...no brightness or harshness consider it's a new set

very different from my dt 880 when it's new tongue.gif

i cant say for now if i like the sound or not because i only had a very brief audition.

the price they qoute me was S$424 but i was given a "special price" which i was quite surprised. hmmm... maybe they jacked up the price tag of S$424. all i can say it's that their "special price" is abit higher than Mackie's.