Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Flaws on CD recording

Weird thing is though, I hear a slight background "hisssing" sound on my so-called audiophile CD. It's called Snow Rose, you guys familiar with it? On some other normal consumer CDs I don't get the sound.

I'm not really complaining, just disappointed in the Snow Rose CD. Nothing wrong with the headphones though, these are great cans. So much better than listening on my speakers.

Yes pal. Ablaze also brought to our awareness of a certain track on Emi Fujita 24/192 mastered cd that clips during climax. Upsampling/oversampling digs deeper into the cd format for details and brings along caveats such as what U've experienced.

Edited by Mackie

hey, mackie, anyway to solve this kind of Upsampling/oversampling prob??

analouger by Dr.Jan Meier??

or it's a technical flaw, digital format drawback??

hey, mackie, anyway to solve this kind of Upsampling/oversampling prob??

analouger by Dr.Jan Meier??

or it's a technical flaw, digital format drawback??

There's no way out. What's in the recording will be presented as it is. It's no longer a myth that a large no. of conventional and audiophile cd masterings are not exactly perfect. The "Perfect Sound" claims made during the early cd era was banished and shunned long ago.

Well tapes and Lps exhibit background hiss/pops but if the music is good, I think your mind will ignore the noise while your body jives to the music.

Edited by Mackie

actually, a slight hiss means that the recording is an analog one.

no hiss at all means that a recording is a digital one.

a hiss is not a flaw. all LPs have hiss, no matter how soft. many cds have a hiss that no amount of remastering and editing can remove completely without affecting the sound negatively.

not clear what i mean? look on your cd case, (especially on classical cds) there should be a small box somewhere with the 3 letters DDD ADD or AAD. what do they mean?

AAD: recorded in analog, analog mixing, digital transfer

ADD: recorded in analog, digital mixing, digital transfer

DDD: recorded in digital, digital mixing, digital transfer

the transfer medium is always digital as cds are, after all, a digital format.

digital recordings potentially allow for a greater frequency capture, but typically analog recordings are of a better quality due to the maturity of the technology.

for example for sony classical's recent re-release of glenn gould's the goldberg variations, the recording engineers decided that the analog recording of the performance, which was recorded alongside a digital version, sounded better. so they remastered the analog performance for the re-release instead of the digital one.

but seriously, this should be the last thing on your mind when buying cds..

Edited by adhoc

Even if the recording is digital all the way you can have hiss. Only it is not hiss, it is just background noise from the room. I have only heard this in classical music or music recorded with just a pair of microphones for pure stereo. If it is a big room and not completely sound proofed, there will inevitably be some noise from traffic and air-con and the other people in the room not performing at that time. Still I actually enjoy it sometimes. Shows off how detailed your system is ? How does that saying go? You can hear what the 3rd violinist in the second row back had for breakfast? wink.gif

Edited by Tenson

You can hear what the 3rd violinist in the second row back had for breakfast?
By the sound of his BURP!!! w00t.gif Now that's what I call hifi! happy.gif Edited by Mackie

I had read some sound engineering article. Some uses anti liasing etc to improve the sound. Very cim stuff. Anybody know more about this or links?

Like to know 1-bit DAC and Delta sigma too.

Thanks. tongue.gif

How do you anti-lias sound? In the context of graphics its just some kind of intelligent blur...

Obviously you can sample the background noise if you have a recording of just that and then remove any sound matching the pattern of that sample in the recording. However I don't know if that is anti-liasing or what?! It works well though!

As far as I know ANY noise removal system applied to a recording will remove some of the musical signal as well. There is no way around that. So it is not always a good thing!

What exactly do you want to know about 1-bit DAC's and Delta Sigma? That?s a bit vague hehe... wink.gif