ablaze

modded my CD3000s!

no no. didn't spray the cups pink happy.gif

instead, went to the supermarket downstairs and got a couple of those dishwashing sponges

user posted image

cut up 2 narrow blocks of it, and stuffed it under the rear parts of my Sony CD3000s leather pads, as so

user posted image

the result: the rear part of the pads are now quite a bit thicker than the front, so when it sits on my head, the cups (and drivers) are angled just a bit more. now the soundstage is widened and also more "speaker-like" ie. coming just a lil more from the front than the sides.

my $1 mod happy.gif

anybody wanna try with their grados or senns? wink.gif

no didn't remove anything. didn't wanna spoil anything. so just stuffed the sponge in the space between the pads and the plastic part inside smile.gif

Hehehe... the Grado dish washing sponge mod. I can see it now hundreds of head-fiers with rectangular yellow & green 3M sponges on their precious cans. A new trend is born.

Seriously I tried tilting my RS-1's drivers with my hands last night trying to replicate it. Too much & you lose detail & imaging for the sake of soundstage.

i think the trick, at least for closed cans like mine, is to tilt it so much so that it still remains "closed"

ie. if i just hold the cups of my sonys and rotate it forward, it "exposes" some space at the rear part of the cans. ie. the rear part of the pads don't rest on my head anymore, and air (and sound) leaks thru the back "hole" and that kinda spoils the effect. but stuffing the sponge between the pads allow the rear parts to still sit on my head. so its all good for me happy.gif

how's the hunt for your own pair of CD3Ks coming along, N@Z? wink.gif

That's exactly how I tried it, angled it without exposing the other end.

I wouldn't call it a hunt really, more like a wait & see sorta thang. Much like the Eggos & AKG K1000 previously, wait for an opportunity to present itself.

ic..if I were you, I'd see the fact that both Gouki and Northern Oak being in Japan now as ample "oppurtunity" hehe

Sould work for my W1000, but the thing is that the driver angled already, will it be too much?

better to figure out a way for K501 to make it's stage deeper. wacko.gif

LOL!! lol.giflol.gif

I might when I got hold of my can already biggrin.gif

order the r-10 lamb ass?

wonder if it will fit though

superb comfort biggrin.gif

hee heee... maybe ask tee to help look for that ass when he goes to japan

not bad.. skali much cheaper.. audiocubes is always more ex rite laugh.gif

audiocubes' price may be a lil high at times. but never THAT high that a US$299 pair of pads will cost much less rolleyes.gif