Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Electrocompaniet EMC-1 CD Player discussion thread

So what is the lowest price this machine has gone on the market?

Last I've seen it 2k flat.

I want to know if it's any cheaper than that.. if so maybe I can....consider? unsure.gifblush.gif

Actually last time I didn't quite believe the importance of cd-player until recently.

To me the upgrade in the cd player beats any other in the chain due to their stronger 3d presence, better resolution and feeling of more being there. I believe as we go up the price bracket it will get closer and closer to live, but of course will never beat or even touch the real thing itself smile.gif

Ok enough bull-crap from me. So mackie how about writing the good things of this compared to A3 that can make my saliva drip? w00t.gif

recca-flame too! Would like to hear from you all about this player smoke.gif

I can help you along your way by acquiring your current source wink.gif

dry.gif ...

Well only if the new source is within my budget and allows me to make the move biggrin.gif !

Otherwise I think I am keeping this for a real long time w00t.gif

EMC-1 and A3CD are of different price brackets and simply not fair to make a comparison. In spite of the latter being a marvellous cdp with a touch of analogue sound and sweetness to the mid band, EMC-1 is just simply analogue sounding overall and the enjoyment is akin to listening to good turntables. U will never find sibilance nor digital glare with this cdp.

EMC-1 has numerous forte and these are soundstaging, layering, bass performance, neutrality and smoothness. Those who are familiar with RKV should be able to relate to them for it shares the same strengths. However, the partnership of these 2 fine sounding equipment sounds a bit tepid to me. It is most likely owing to my favoured genres of music and sonic preference. A3CD may not share the same level of perfomance in the aforementioned aspects but its dynamics and treble extension seems to complement the RKV very well.

EMC-1 was born in 2001 and a used unit at $2200 is less than 50% of retail price. Anyone looking for sub $2000 will pay for this procrastination for EMC-1 don't usually appear nor stay in the classifieds for long.

well i heard this player ( at mackie house wub.gif <<-- thanks to him that i was expose to it )... what i can said is really powerful !! very strong player to own .. well if you have this player i dont think you will need to upgrade anymore unless .. you are willing to pay 10 k w00t.gif and above ... wub.giflaugh.gifcall.gif

blues your MF is really good enough !! man !! dont keep thinking of upgrades ... you are to enjoy the music !! not to keep upgrading ! wub.gifhappy.gif

As New Type has rightly pointed out, upgrade bugs have pervaded since audiophilia was born and both young and old have and will continue to succumb to this pitfall. I reckon my experience of RKV+EMC-1+cans exhibits the limited headroom of a cans setup against speakers rig. EMC-1 simply soars in the latter.

Blues, I wouldn't advise U to ditch the A3CD for EMC-1 as U've yet to explore the full potential of your current setup. For the same money, U could buy a RKV to partner your A3CD. I'm sure this combo will sound better than EMC-1 with your Corda HA1.

Edited by Mackie

I concur with Mackie on the strengths of the EMC-1. It's a marvellous machine to own and if you can match you system properly, you will find numerous hours of enjoyment. I does not have the privillege of hearing a MF A3 but from my colleague (fuwen who is also a sgheadphone member) who does own the player, and audited my system, he commented that the EMC-1 is definitely not a gentleman player as he thought it would be before the audition.

The lowest I came across in the used market is also $2k sometime last year but without remote for a 24/96. For a MkII 24/192 not UP version was around $3k (sold within a couple of says!). $2k to $2.2k seems to be the fair market price for this beauty. If possible, try to get a brand new set due to the problems I had faced with the player. Other than that, no complains.

If u should check the price of this player in the US used market, it's US$2k to US$3k!

This is one analogue sounding CDP to get if you do not wish to get to the dark side. For me I prefer to play XRCD on the EMC1 than SACD on the 9000ES, the transparency, detail, sweetness, coherent sound and soundstage is all there. But word of caution, for bad recordings especially those so call remastered CDs quite popular nowadays, keep it away from the EMC1. The EMC1 will expose the bad recording such that it's unbearable to listen i.e. too digital sounding. On the other hand for good recordings (or audiophile grade) CDs, you will listen for hours!

Does anyone play tweaks with your CDP? My EMC1 is supported on BDR cones resting on a BDR 'The Shelve' isolating board which is on top of Goldmund cones. I find this configuration gave me even more depth and weight in the music without too much airiness. Heard Mackie is now a non-believer of tweaks. Is that true?

I have not heard a 24/96 EMC1 before. Anyone who have heard both care to comment? Mackie, have u considered to upgrade the DAC to 24/192 or wanting to perform the 'surgery' yourself?

Cheers

Yea I know I haven't even used a good powercord with the A3cd (using stock now btw rolleyes.gif )

NT do you believe I am really upgrading to this cdp?

As I've said I just want to know more about this player .. nothing wrong with that I believe? wink.gif

But as mackie and reccaflame pointed out, I think I should cross the EMC-1 from my checklist due to their seemingly hard partnership with amp/cans. That comes as a relief too since I can save moi money! w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

haha ... i just pointed out that you have high percentage of upgrading but did not mention that you are sure to upgrade ... ( well i may believe you are going to upgrade since you showed so much interest lol.giflol.gif )

well b'cos to most people after hearing so many good comments .. they would change their mind throw away their current item and change to something new ( blues this is not to comment you ok ... ! or say anything bad about you ) it maybe me also ! lol.giflol.gif

i think EMC 1... GOOD !!! laugh.gif

oneday we go and try out this player ! see ya soon in 2 to 3 weeks time ~! happy.gif

anyways

CHEERS AND ENJOYS !! laugh.gif

N_T wub.gif

Edited by N3w_Typ3

I've heard the EMC-1 but not long enough to comment objectively. Off the top of my head...the EMC-1 does many things better than the A3CD. The A3CD crucially needs proper matching down the chain.

Anyhow, if you are in the market for an usedS$2-3k CDP, try to look around a bit and listen to a lot more. Good reviews doesnt mean its hand in glove for you. A friend of mine let go of his EMC-1 to be digital-less for a while because it wasnt crucial to him.

Any CDP worth its salt should sound their best with adequate stands. If they dont, look elsewhere.

OT abit, ..

Naimed, I am assuming you are a Naim fan(from your name)? biggrin.gif

Have you heard the Naim CDX or CDS(II?)

I am always very interested to hear the famous Naim PRaT but till now I haven't got the chance to try ..

wonder how they sound biggrin.gif

If it has any bearing at all, I've heard Mat's CDi (with full naim Pre/power ampification & Epos speakers) it sounds brilliant! Reminds me a little of the DT150's character (bar the soundstage/headstage).

OT abit, ..

Naimed, I am assuming you are a Naim fan(from your name)? biggrin.gif

Have you heard the Naim CDX or CDS(II?)

I am always very interested to hear the famous Naim PRaT but till now I haven't got the chance to try ..

wonder how they sound biggrin.gif

Yes, a Naimee. smoke.gif

The Naim CDPs that I have heard extensively (at least a couple of hours at a single sitting) are: CD3-5/Hi, CD5, CD5/Hi, CDX, CDX2, CDS, CDS2 - either in full-Naim context or otherwise.

Naim's CDPs dont do that hifi thing (soundstage, depth, smoothness...etc) so well, but they play good music. whistling.gif Their presentation may not be everyone's cup of tea but it certainly is engaging/involving enough for me to sit up and listen.

Just pop by Absolute Sound at Singapore Shopping Centre. I'm sure you can listen to some Naims there.

Incidently, I sold my CD3-5/Hi to a guy who owns a A3CD.

w00t.gifw00t.gif ...

ok I will try and see if I can listen to them. To me whatever sound good is good and I don't really pick out anything like soundstage, etc. I prefer the system to be enganging and make me think less of the system itself. Rather be drowned in the music. Of course my current system does it well but just want to check the other side of the book biggrin.gif

Good .. blues when you are back ... then plan .... !! ! happy.gifwub.giflaugh.gif