Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

DIY Mint-Meta/Cmoy Variant

Tropicalrips, isn't the Panasonic EVJ 50K potentiometer (as used in most mint tins) available in SG?

Nope. But a similarly built pot of an unknown brand is sold in a few desolated shops. Heh...

update :

i found the distortion to be cause by a combination of the mint-meta design with EL2001 chip sad2.gif

it seems that the meta design doesn't work well with the El buffers, not sure why, yet to try it with the BUF634 chips...anyone has spare so8 to dip8 adaptors?

i did manage to correct it with the LM6172 op-amp, i suspect the higher speed of the LM6172 helps to correct the problem unsure.gif

acording to Apheared in headwise, the AD823 & EL2001 is a perfect match, so i decided to follow his design, change my signal section to his "Cmoy Slayer" design or as in his tread CMoy variant #42. its a Cmoy running on AD823 & buffered by 2 EL2001 chips, this works perfectly headphone.gif better sounding then the Cmoy or A-47 and most importantly no more noise.

ok made a final version of the Cmoy Slayer smile.gif

tried out some new layout ideas that could be used for future projects (PPA in mint tin)

post-2-1072208110.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips

board with 6 panasonic FC series caps 25v 470uF

should be no problem fitting up to 8 of these

post-2-1072208407.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips

bought Elna Cerafine caps from Well audio today

cost $2.70 each for 16v 470uF

bought the panasonic @ $1.80 each, 10v 4700uF for use in new monster smile.gif

the 2 op-amps are JRC4556 & LM833 , they come off the shelf from Federal in SLT , no need to wait for order smile.gif

i was surprise by the sound of these 2 op-amps headphone.gif

the JRC4556 i think is sonically better but it lacks the bass kick of the OPA2132/2134 but detail wise its almost there, can't really tell

the LM833 has more of the kick, but its unstable like the LM6172, won't work in a Cmoy without a rail-spilter, i choose it for its higher speed

the 2 actually works well together in an A47 design , got it to work with JRC4556 as the signal op-amp & the LM833 as the buffer, and this is without a rail-spilter

post-2-1072446197.jpg

i hav tried the 2 9v method without the rail-spilter but didn't notice any difference, but increasing the voltage with 2 9v in series for 18v did hav slight difference on some headphones, which is why i'm trying to boost the batt voltage while still remaining at 1 batt smile.gif

i think 12v should be enough, and for my super minis maybe 5 or 6 volt with 2*AA batts , the AD823 is able to go below 5v , and my new JRC4556 is rated +/- 2v (yet to be tested)

i'm getting my mini Hammond case next week party.gif i think can fit the blue Alps in there, make it look like a mini PPA biggrin.gif

time to seriously 'commission' you to make an amp. cool.gif

very neat work especially the wiring.

no problem , let me know what are the specs u want smile.gif

my new A47 variant is sounding very similar to this Cmoy variant with the buffer chips.

can seriously consider the A47 variant cos it will be cheaper, if i follow the A47 monster layout can fit up to 8 maybe even 10 caps w00t.gif all 25v 470uF , but not panasonics.

it will look very cool with all those caps lol.gif i bought 10 pcs of 10v 470uF mini caps today, plan to use them in one of the amps cool.gif with these babies i should be able to get 4 rows of 5 caps each row, for a total of 20 caps w00t.gif

Now if only your projects come with potentiometers for volume control.....that will definitely hit me in the bone. They look so delicious yáll.

Now if only your projects come with potentiometers for volume control.....that will definitely hit me in the bone. They look so delicious yáll.

its coming soon smile.gif

in aluminium hammond case and maybe the blue Alps as well biggrin.gif

going to giv Jason's PPA a run for its money lol.gif

done hammer.gif

Cmoy Slayer in mini Hammond case smoke.gif

post-2-1073241354.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips