Sign in to follow this  
ahtiu

pls recommend me a headphone for my MP3 player.

Hi,

Would appreciate recommendation of headphones for my mp3 player..

wish it is also suitable for classical musics such as piano & violin pieces ..

saw afew advertised on Streats for Sennheiser such as PX200, HD497, are they good ? or are brands like Grado S80s better ?

Thanks

user posted image

Edited by ahtiu

All cans will sound better with a dedicated head amp and if U intend to drive yours direct from the headphone socket of MP3 player, look no further than those of impedance 32-64 ohms preferably.

There are various concerns which U have to ponder on. Is isolation critical? Ear buds/plugs/clip-on/cans of close-back design is preferred if U were to listen to music mostly on the go. Otherwise, open-back design is good for home use; especially for classical music.

Aside from those makes U've mentioned, I have the following suggestions. Audition them and decide for yourself.

1. Koss KSC35/50/55 clipon (images coutesy of www.koss.com)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

2. Audio Technica ATH-EM5/7 (images courtesy of www.avupdate.com)

user posted image

user posted image

3. Sony MDR-E888LP ear bud (image courtesy of www.sel.sony.com)

user posted image

4. Beyerdynamic DT431 (image courtesy of www.beyerdynamic.co.uk)

(just discovered there's one more pair and absolutely the very last in the inventory.....clearing at cost price for my HK relative at S$70). U may wanna search this site for lekguan's impressions or pm him for he got a pair of these from me too.

user posted image

Edited by Mackie

wow!! Thanks Mackie for your advise... will check 'em out...

btw, wat is a head amp & how much it costs? if going outdoor ? does that meant an additional item to carry?

u r dealer of headphones ?

thanks again

Edited by ahtiu

Head amp is just an amplifier made for headphone use, as portable cd players are usually if not insufficient to drive the headphones properly, especially the higher impedance headphones like the Sennheiser HD600.

And yes, if will mean an extra item to carry when going out. However there are some really small amps like the Xin SuperMicro which is just slightly bigger than the AA battery powering it.

As for cost, they can range from a DIY Cmoy (around $30+ if you make 1 yourself) to a few hundred dollars. (For portable head amps).

Cheers, and welcome.gif

The Supermicro is powered by an AAA battery, kenshinz.

Anyway I second Mackie's recommendations. Though the PX200 might be worth a try as well. The HD497 and SR80 don't seem very portable.

Arh sorry typo error there, thanks for pointing it out biggrin.gif

Edited by kenshinz

i think you should wait for more impression first and if you are able to try out which is better ... cos if you can hear the different and find it worth paying for the differences(in term of sound) then it might be for you but one bad thing is that you must bring a extra item out !also a mini to mini interconnect is required to link the player and amp. happy.giflaugh.gif

For cans also try out before getting ! but i highly recommend Koss

Cheers !

N_T wub.gif

Anyway I second Mackie's recommendations. Though the PX200 might be worth a try as well. The HD497 and SR80 don't seem very portable.

thanx.. I read from some forums that px200 quite delicate and can spoilt easily ..izzit true

If u are talking about the folding joints, i just asked a fren who owned the px200 4 abt 2 mths, so far so good, but he recommends u put it in the case when not in use and not jus chuck it in ur pocket or something, then u shouldn hav any problems that u read abt.

to giv u an idea what extra stuff u hav to carry around here is my daily portable setup

user posted image

the smallest i got with a standard CMoy is somthing thats the same size as the mp3 player, but planning to go even smaller smile.gif

user posted image

u r dealer of headphones ?

Used to be a dealer.......in financial markets.....nothing related to hifi. tongue.gif

No lah.....just a hobbist like U but has a contact for Beyer cans at cheaper prices, that's all.