Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Melos SHA-1

Those of you who have heard this unit, could you offer some opinions on the sound quality compared to newer headamps?

Thanks

Hi, I have not come acrooss any write ups regarding the MELOS SHA-1 in this forum. Your best bet is do a search in HeadFi.org for more info on them and there is alot of it there too. Sorry I can't be of much help!

regards

Last heard, cmk is a happy owner of this amp. Congrats and welcome to the world of cans! party.gif

Edited by Mackie

I would like to thank Mackie for his excellent advice, first for looking at the Beyers, and secondly, for help in looking for headamps.

As I have no basis for comparison with other amps, I'd just say that once the Melos is warmed up, it sounds excellent with the DT990, liquid highs, great punch/dynamics, and well balanced full range sound. party.gif

cmk: is that the melos from echoloft? biggrin.gif

Congratz on your purchase. Now you have some great amp and good cans. May the music be with u headphone.gif

I would like to thank Mackie for his excellent advice, first for looking at the Beyers, and secondly, for help in looking for headamps.

As I have no basis for comparison with other amps, I'd just say that once the Melos is warmed up, it sounds excellent with the DT990, liquid highs, great punch/dynamics, and well balanced full range sound. party.gif

Have u check what 88 tubes are in the amp?

cmk: is that the melos from echoloft? biggrin.gif

Congratz on your purchase. Now you have some great amp and good cans. May the music be with u headphone.gif

Yes, its from echoloft.

Thanks, enjoying headphone.gif already.

Have u check what 88 tubes are in the amp?

The previous owner had Electro Harmonix ECC88s in them. I thought I'd give it a listen before doing anything. My initial impression is that it sounds good, so I might not want to tube roll. HeadFi users recommended the Tungsol and Mullard, and another tube I'm not familar with - 6H23.

Do you have any recommendations? rolleyes.gif

If you like the Electro Harmonix sound than you should try the Electro Harmonix 6922 Gold which imho provide a better n tighter bass + smoother highs. Alternatively if you are familiar or like the Mullard type of presentation than try their ECC88s or better still the 7308s. My current favorite 88s are the Siemens CCa and the Sylvania GB 6922s.