Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

Monster A47 variant

.. nice collection .. that a true D.I.Y people .. haha ... man i really respect you. I hope to see it and also test it during the meet ... heehee! happy.giflaugh.gif

May I know if the A47 variant final version in mint tin and Cmoy variant final version in mint tin is for sale? I would like know the price as well.

the A47 variant will be for sale , i'm working on a volume control version, but its may not be in a mint tin , cause my volume pots are too big.

price should be below $100, i'm going to try stacking the buffer op-amp to see if it improves the sound smile.gif

the cmoy variant sounds best to me smile.gif

completed the A47 variant with volume pot

but i think my gain is too high, don't hav the full volume spectrum of the pot, is like very soft then normal level & full blast

only first half of the pot has any effect on the volume, the 2nd half is full volume all the way mellow.gif

user posted image

the case is a Hammond , but i got the wrong one , its actually too small, can't fit a 9v batt tongue.gif i decided to use it anyway cause the aluminium one is on its way smile.gif

i use 2 A23 batts to power this amp, its running at 12v

user posted image

the pot is a copy of the Panasonic, the whole amps is really tight, ran out of space every way i turn, had to put the on/off switch on the side. but i must say it looks really sweet biggrin.gif

user posted image

can see the A23 batt from here, the case is actually ment for 2 AA batt, but thats not enough to power the amp without a boost circuit (still working on that) don't know how long the A23 can last...

i don't think i will try this amp in this case anymore, just too tight wacko.gif getting the same Hammond plastic case that can fit a 9v, its the same size but higher

You think it can fit an Altoids?

I can supply the tins, got a bunch of them now(tasty). tongue.gif

Most importantly, how does it go with low imp cans?

in Altoids mint tin shoulb be no problem , but the volume pot will hav to be at the side

want to trade your altoids tins smile.gif i'm lazy to go find them

its an improvement on low imp cans , better then a Cmoy, but the hiss is still there, sounds like a tape player biggrin.gif with 32ohm headphones its a big improvement over the cmoy.

CMK tried it today with his PX200, maybe he can giv a first impression on the amp, he's also the first person other then myself to hav heard the amp smile.gif

4 * 16v 470uF power caps & 1uF signal coupling caps with 2 NJM4556 op-amps

it has the same layout as the A47 monster

reduced the gain to 5.5 , but still can't get a bigger sweep with the volume pot sleep.gif

anyone hav ideas how to solve this problem? could be pot itself causing this, but can't get higher quality volume pots

post-2-1072832389.jpg

Edited by tropicalrips

You're using a linear pot. You need a log-pot for volume controls. Go to Larry Hi-fi to get the TKD 16mm pot if you have to. Be warned, it's $50 for the pot alone.

The A47 was created for low gain, I don't see why you need high gain for portable head/ ear pieces. Low impedance drivers don't need high voltage. Even 2x gain is more than enough.

i don't use low impedance headphones smile.gif its a Koss porta-pro 60ohms

this variant is not really an A47 anymore, its more like a 2 stage Cmoy, i just retain my original A47 layout

i don't use low impedance headphones smile.gif its a Koss porta-pro 60ohms

this variant is not really an A47 anymore, its more like a 2 stage Cmoy, i just retain my original A47 layout

That's still fairly low impedance. 2x gain is still enough if your portable throws out 1.6v RMS from the line-out.

CMK tried it today with his PX200, maybe he can giv a first impression on the amp, he's also the first person other then myself to hav heard the amp smile.gif

Both the Cmoy and its other brother can sure kicking.gif .

Lots of gain - which is a party.gif thing.

Will post more impressions once I've got my source sorted out.