dgps

Mp3/CD Player

hi guys,

i am looking for a decent Mp3/CD player a good line output....any good recommendation?

thanks.

Rawhit of head-fi dropped by over the weekend an he brought along his Creative Nomad Jukebox 3. He had transfered some CDs into the hard-drive of this Nomad using AIFF format (no not MP3 format). We then compared the same songs with a Panasonic SL-CT 570 and the Nomad had the edge not by very much but you could hear the difference. The same portable amp was used - Porta Corda II - and same headphones Ety 4 P/Grado RS-1 and Grado HP-1. On all headphones the Normad was slightly better than the very good reviewed Panasonic.

Since MP3 is a further compressed format than either CD or MD there will be significant loss of resolution and the Panasonic should outperform the Normad. This was true when I compared the Panasonic to a Philips Xpanium combo unit sometime back.

Unfortunately, hard-drive players like the Nomad are expensive. Stay away from the beautiful Normad Zen or iPod as they do not have line outs. Basically the Zen is a chopped down version of the CNJ 3 in a nicer package. It hase USB 2 though.

Dose the CNJ3 come with the required AIFF format ripping software?

N@Z, sorry I don't know. RawHit didn't bring the software along to my apartment. He had downloaded the sounds from CDs which he brought along for comparison. Ask RawHit.

Resurrecting this thread to inquire if anyone knows where is the cheapest place in SG to get the NJ3 40G.

hi, you might want to try the creative warehouse.

they have sporadic sales with fantastic deals.

Versaility reminder - "MUVO"

Media is not available as yet (but readily used in digital storage (e.g. Photography) et al), can't go wrong there tongue.gif

Thanks for the suggestion.

I like the idea of ripping my favourite collection of CDs onto one unit & leaving it at that. The MuVo, versatile as it is, doesn't have nealy enough capacity at 4G only (10%) for what I intend to put in. Plus I don't mind it being transportable as opposed to portable, it has an integrated line-out (as opposed to the iPod's seperate docking station) & if I'm not mistaken you can use it to record directly on to mp3.

My only concerns with the NJ3 is the software glitches/bugs some people experienced on the early generation. Any owners experience that on this newer unit?

OT:

check out the article on MuVo in Computer Times.

Ppl are ripping out the disk drive from MuVo and sell it at a higher price they paid for the whole Muvo unit.

Like what mat have mentioned, the hitachi disk is highly sought after.The basic 4GB is round 500++ where one would pay less than 500 for the MuVo unit on its whole. sleep.gif

My only concerns with the NJ3 is the software glitches/bugs some people experienced on the early generation. Any owners experience that on this newer unit?

my NJB3 did have several "hanging" incidents

i always keep an untwisted paperclip in my bag to effect the "reboot"

i did have an occurence where rebooting didn't work [it stayed at the EAX logo]

had to "scandisk"

after installing the latest firmware [1.40 something]

the need to reboot has reduced, plus i like the new interface

AIFF? methought NJB3 only support mp3 and wav, got to google this...