Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

another long review

Interesting.......

Has anyone posted a personal review of Beyer DT880 here cos I'm planning to write one (er...just my opinion and not pro review) with a few tweaks that I've tried on my cans setup to sweeten the read. blush.gif

i'm thinking of upgrading my phones to the ones listed(except the w2002) above. read that the beyer 880s sound similar to the senn 600? does the beyer have the veiled midrange and bloaty bass that the senns possess? i really hope that they don't as i don't particularly favour the senn sound.

cool happy.gif

btw, you still on the X-canv1 + X-psu?

ablaze:

Yup, still on the X-cans V1/X-psu and a recent addition, X-24k dac. I will give a full breakdown in the upcoming review.

evil-zen:

If the DT880 has those qualities U'd mentioned, I wouldn't leave my HD600. Those are the areas which the former excels and more. Will come to that later and I've experimented with some tweaks that enhanced the sound of my setup. These may also benefit yours and all as proven in the presence of Northern Oak. He was at my place with his K501 this morning.

I shall reveal more, please give me some time with my forthcoming post. Cheers.

Hi Mackie,

I have found something of a review/comparison on DT880 :

http://members.cox.net/yrogerg/headphones/...view%20rev0.pdf

Not sure if you agree, after you have completed the run-in of your Beyers. wink.gif

Btw, could anyone kindly advise where i can find a review on Sony MDR-R10 ? headphone.gif

Hi tee,

Thanks for the link and very good review on that...touching more on the structure and technicalities of the DT880's performance. My review concentrates more on the sonic areas. Looking at the chart, the common points raised in both our reviews are the lack of details, bass depth and soundstaging of HD600 relative to DT880. Also in question is the tonal balance of the Senn because of one culprit......the richer upper bass-lower mid range which not only masks the deeper bass regions but also the highs as well. A lot of lesser speakers deliberately boost this range to give a sense of scale and weight to the sound but in actual fact, it is colouration. However, do take note that colourations will always prevail and it's just a matter of degree. Some like it, others don't..... YMMV.

As in Beyer's tradition in the pro field where their cans are used in studio mastering/recordings, any weakness in the source will be revealed. Less revealing cans can hide this but not DT880. So don't be surprise if one starts to chuck some cds with poor recordings aside.....such is the irony of a good sound system.

My DT880 has chalked more than 250 hours of play now ....fully run in by now. Its sound starts to change after about 100 hours.

Edited by Mackie

haha. he was at aldephi and Mackie's house too.

Newbie cans-phile, that's why running about. First, to increase my CD collections, next to learn from Mackie, Adelphi to see and hear systems...

I guess there's too many things to learn and too little time allowed. *Sigh*. Going to Rameish's place in a while but the rain is getting from bad to worse ....

Must tell all U're a good cook.....getting an Ikea chopping board to cook stew with your new Marantz! blink.gif

Thanks for your interesting comments Mackieand Northern Oak. I am also trying to run-in the new DT880 which i've just brougt it home, i like its comfort design and the aluminium box is gorgeous ! Hope to reach sonic nirvana soon !! wink.gif