Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Apple iPod mini

I'm really tempted by the new iPod mini. It's about time I got one of these things. It'll look especially good with a pair of Shure e3's!

Some lovely accessories to go with it. The Monster iCase travel pack looks extremely useful too. Does anyone know whether the Dock can be used independant of a computer & does it need an external power source? More to the point, is it available already?

N@z, the Dock has a line-out, and does not require external power to work. But you can plug in a firewire cable with dock connector to the Dock that allows you to charge the ipod at the same time. It ships with 20/30/40 GB ipods, but you can pick it up at some Apple Shops.

If you're talking about the inMotion Portable iPod Speakers, they run on batteries, but also has an option to be powered by external power, which allows you to charge the ipod at the same time.

Cheers!

Thanks Scriberex. Your first sentence answered my query.

No thanks Jason! I can't use that as an external harddrive which is one of the major appeal of the original iPod for me. Not to mention it's not backward compatible with older MDs tongue.gif

Very drool H_D! They're calling it gay in over in head-fi rolleyes.gif looks pretty nifty to me although the current iPod still looks sharp compared to it. The physical dimensions appeal to me more than the HD capacity.

user posted image

what about the Muvo2 1.5gb version?

i think its the same size as my exsiting Mpio, and shorter then the Altoids tin

For someone looking to use the ipod as an external harddrive, you better check again coz I think the problem with the ipod is that it cannot just plug into a comp and be recognized as an external harddrive. The iriver ihp-120 can do that. The creative ones also do that.

But the ipods and the mini ipods do look cool cool.gif

For someone looking to use the ipod as an external harddrive, you better check again coz I think the problem with the ipod is that it cannot just plug into a comp and be recognized as an external harddrive. The iriver ihp-120 can do that. The creative ones also do that.

But the ipods and the mini ipods do look cool cool.gif

I was under the impression (based on reading Apple's website) that this is possible with all current generation iPods. Plus the fact that I use both OS (Mac & PC) therefore it should work seemlessly without the need for any driver installation especially in the case of the Mac.

I would certainly look into the other suggestions made here assuming they fit my requirements:

- Should not be significantly larger than an iPod.

- has a proper line-out.

- should be harddrive based not memory card or other formats.

- should work on both Mac & PC.

- able to play .wav files or some form of losseless file format.

- can be used as an external harddrive.

- USB & Firewire.

Bummer,

As long as the computer is running Win 2000/ME and above (not Win 98), plugging in the Ipod should allow you to use it as an external hard-drive (without having to pre-install any program). You will be able to drag and drop files in and from the ipod from the Windows Explorer like any other hard-drive.

The limitations however are:

1) If you are using USB 1.1, you better plug in the other cable to charge at the same time as the battery gets zapped pretty quickly when syncing with computer.

2) If you want to load songs into the ipod for playback, you can't just drag and drop from Windows Explorer. You need to do it through one of the various programmes like i-tunes or Ephpod (my favorite). As work around, I just save the Ephpod programme files into the ipod and run it from Windows Explorer when I am using a different pc than my main home pc.

3) If you're a mac user (like N@z?) and want to download songs from a PC to the ipod, bit more complicated as you need to copy the songs into your ipod hard-disk (cannot playback), go home to your Mac, then access and download the songs through iTunes software.

Cheers!

Hi, I think Scriberex pretty much summed up some. If I may add, the iPod is also packed with other features other than playing music and acting as an External Hard Drive. You can also boot up your computer from it in any case should your Hard Drive crashes, you can load it with your utilites and diagnose you system drives from it etc, etc. The list is getting longer, with 4 GB (Mini iPod) worth of storage space its hard to imagine anyone filling that up, I guess some would but there is just so many things the iPod can do besides. The only downside is really the price, for an extra US$50 or so you can get a 15GB 3rd generation iPod only available in white and oh soo many of those mp3's dumped in there. I personally go HERE to find out more about the iPod's. Have a good day!