Sign in to follow this  
av98m

Inside the RA-1 Clone

This ra-1 clone was built for me by our very own Firefox, following the original ra-1 values but uber maxed out with the following:

Alps Black Beauty potentiometer

Neutriks locking headphone jack

Cardas rodium plated rca jacks

Big fat aluminium knob

Neutriks XLR jack

Battery connecters terminating in a Neutriks XLR plug

..ok, there's something else but I can't remember what

I officially christian it the RA-1PSLE

(PSLE= Premium Super Limited Edition) tongue.gif

Many thanks again to firefox for taking time out from his veery vveery busy schedule to put this nifty little amp together for me(he's still doing his NS). Enjoy the pics.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by av98m

Full features:

Cardas GRFA Rhodium-silver plated RCA jacks

Alps Black Beauty Pot.

Neutrik Locking Jack

Neutrik XLR connections for power input

Brushed aluminium knob

Vishay Dale RN60D resistors

29ga, teflon insulated, 99.999% pure silver wire used throughout signal paths

24ga, teflon insulated, silver-plated copper wire for power

Point to point soldered circuit

All opamp & resistor leads filed to base metal for soldering

Edited by Firefox

Very nice av98m/firefox. Caps so huge can hardly see the board! Any special reason for the XLR power plug/socket?

Very nice av98m/firefox. Caps so huge can hardly see the board! Any special reason for the XLR power plug/socket?

There is no board! Everything is hard-wired. Just like in tube amps. Heh...

The XLR socket allows an external dual-voltage psu to be used in place of the batteries. =)

Of course, I haven't made one for the Grado clones yet. But it shouldn't take too long.... First piece should be out by end of Feb.

Firefox, feb this year? LOL.

Yup a hard wired Grado Clone is definately a think of beauty. But wait there's more! Firefox's BB Amp V2 has been officially completed and undergoing 3rd party ;-) auditions. What can I say, a fresh pair of ears would give better insight.

av98m, if you can get some macro shots of the hardwired circuit I'd love to see them. If you can't nevermind maybe you can show it during the meet.

I'll take a couple of better shots on tuesday.

P.S. The psle clone sounds pretty much the same as the orginal ra1 and the naf naf clone(also built by firefox), which is no big suprise, since the opamp and solen caps are the same as the original.

Edited by av98m

Oopss, didn't see the last 2 shots thanks. Enjoy your new toy wink.gif

bwtay, sound wise they are the same. It's just better built and has better balance (left and right channel) because of the pot. It will be far more durable than the original. Everthing that can be made better has been done without straying from the original design. However what this version allows is a future PSU upgrade path. So instead of 2 x 9 volt batteries you could have 2 x 12 volt VDC! Running the amp at optimum. One thing this version allows for is op amp swapping as well. (but then it wouldn't be a Grado Clone).

I personally like the idea of using premium parts - I hate junky parts as oftentimes they start to give problems - esp the volume pot.

Since you already have the original ra-1, and the clone does not sound any different you might as well spend money on a home cd player instead. wink.gif

If I remember correctly, there's a couple of other guys here that have built clones, can't remember their names.

If you want firefox to build, and even assuming that he agrees(remember he's doing ns and only books out on weekends), you will likely have to be patient and wait a few months(like I did), or more, because he has a lot of other stuff on his plate.

Price will depend on parts used, as well as labour costs(a lot of work involved sourcing the parts and soldering, casework etc etc etc etc).

Edited by av98m

Thatz true, I should start saving up for a CDP rather than keep splurging on my headphones and amps. Alright.....u motivated me, I'll shall embark on my journey towards my CDP!!! (any recommendations hehe)

Hello all!

I am wondering: has anyone actually tried to open up a real Grado RA-1 and do the above modifications to it and "seal" the thing closed?

I wouldn't risk ruining a perfectly good mahagony case by doing that. Besides, the innards are potted, and there's no space to squeeze in stuff like the alps pot anyway. Doesn't make any sense to me. wacko.gif