Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Quality inexpensive speaker cables

This might be a little out of place in sgheadphones and it's a pretty obvious question anyway but what the hell...

Would it be worth it for me to upgrade the stock cheapie cables that came with my wife's micro compo. No idea about it's specs but my recent upgrade of the stock speakers to the Castle Trents really impressed me so maybe changing the cables with something modest (not expensive) or better quality might further help sharpen up the sound. I don't want to use my QED Qudos as they have been specifically bi-wired for my other AE100. The original cables NAC A4 that came with the Trents are too thick (although I could replug the other end but I think they are overkill for the compo).

If so anyone has any recommendations? The speaker ends will be friction gripped on to the speaker binding post whereas the compo end will be spring clipped on so the cables can't be too thick.

Photo of the player:

DSCN1648.jpg

N@Z u can't get anything worst than the stock cables. Thats the only 1 thing u can change easily on a mini compo that would really improve the sound.

BTW that looks might similar to my DVD home theater system from JVC too..got the very beng blue light when playing discs. biggrin.gif

Edited by kenshinz

Just buy any cheap speaker wire. Those OFC wires that run as a pair in translucent insulation will do fine. They'd be better than the stock black-red pairs and yet cost very little (S$2 - S$3 per metre).

Thanks for the recommendations. I was thinking along the same lines as Firefox as well, OFC cables. The stock cables are not the black & red ones though, translucent types:

DSCN1655.jpg

DSCN1655.jpg

Hi N@Z, you should give CAT5 cable a try. Its cheap n good. If u can't get it free anywhere, u can buy from LHS, Sim Lim Tower 2nd Floor. Cheers. headphone.gif

I forgot I had this cable lying around so I'm trying it out for the time being since there's enough for a pair.

DSCN1410.jpg

DSCN1410.jpg

The original cables NAC A4 that came with the Trents are too thick

Sounds like the NACA4 Naim sells. If so it'll be pretty good stuff!

Audio Technica sells plugs that accepts fat cables and has a very thin rod like lead that'll fit all spring clips, could be worth a try.

Also, what are you expecting to hear when you upgrade the cables? Different cables reacts very differently.

Good question, as it's been like ages since I've been listening to speakers so I guess I'm looking for a fairly forward presentation with good bass control. Listening to music will be it's secondary function as most of the time it is hooked up to the TV. The TVs own speakers are unbearable!

So far the Belden cables I used improved the low end but at the cost of slight recessed mids. Reminds me of the 7506 with beyer pads.

Guest Ruach

My personal recommendation would be the Neotech OCC hook-up cables. These cables are made by using the continuous-casting method as developed by Professor Ohno of the Chiba Institute in Japan. They should sound better than your average OFC cables.

Their interconnects using this OCC was well reviewed by Hifi News and Records:

http://www.1st-4-audio.com/control/news/an...r.asp?a=72&z=12

They are selling for $2.20 per metre.

For such a low cost setup, I recommend a low cost but equally competent Belden 1860 (for single run) and 1810 for (bi-wiring) cables. These are popularly used by Home Theatre fanatics. I reckon it's about S$3/m.

QED Qudos

^

Oooo... I wanna keep those for my AE100. I don't want to spend unecessarily for what is a pretty cheap setup.

So far so good, the Beldens which I intially thought sounded recessed or dark happened to be on the Sara K CD only.

Toeing-in slightly the speakers improved the imaging, as I've relocated the left speaker further apart & it was causing a hole in-between the center focus.

This is kinda fun. If I find some decent quality plugs similar to the ones you've mentioned fishball I'll try it with the NACA4 since they're also doing nothing in the box. BTW, the shielding is 'bleeding' on some areas of the NACA4 why is that? (This also happened with the dashboard on my Alfa Sipder last time) Bleeding = like melting but still solid. The cable is oily/liquidy to the touch. The conductor inside is intact.

My personal recommendation would be the Neotech OCC hook-up cables. These cables are made by using the continuous-casting method as developed by Professor Ohno of the Chiba Institute in Japan. They should sound better than your average OFC cables.

Their interconnects using this OCC was well reviewed by Hifi News and Records:

http://www.1st-4-audio.com/control/news/an...r.asp?a=72&z=12

They are selling for $2.20 per metre.

Who brings in the Neotech?