RawHit

Cables really do make a difference!!!

Having never compared cables side by side I have always thought that the cable differences are usually negligible and won't show up unless one has a very highly resolving system.

Yesterday evening out of curiosity I decided to compare the stock RCA cables that came with my pioneer universal player and my Outlaw PCA cables to see if i can hear any changes. Was I surprised w00t.gif

The stock cable sounded muddier and less cohesive. There were notable improvements in bass slam/texture with the outlaw cables which also sounded more focused throughout the spectrum.

The differences were so evident that it would be tough to atribute it to placebo effect. If memory serves me right the differenc was like the refinement when moving from Corda HA-1 to HA-2 (auditioned at Rameish's place). I'm sure that the improvements will be much higher with a kick ass source and higher grade cables

That makes it one more place to plunk down the money ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif .....

I had the same experience.. but that was with monster cable and Tara Ref Gen II to begin with lol.giflol.giflol.gif ...

Go for the Kimber KS-1030 (S$1,360) for 1 meter pair. Ex but very good. And it's actually cheap if you consider what americans and the brits pay for this cable - US$1,200 (I'm sure there some discounting) and the Brits pay something like £1,200 or £1,100!!!

In all honesty even humble CDP (mid-fi - ie below S$1000) can really show they stuff with good IC.

Power cords are another route - less bang for buck but if you intend to upgrade your components at some stage it's worth the expense.

Well, there's a wealth of cables to be had if you dare to DIY. Check out LHS at SLT 2nd floor for more variety. To be honest, any cable will do but what you like may not be what I like. biggrin.gif

Go for the Kimber KS-1030 (S$1,360) for 1 meter pair. Ex but very good. And it's actually cheap if you consider what americans and the brits pay for this cable - US$1,200 (I'm sure there some discounting) and the Brits pay something like £1,200 or £1,100!!!

In all honesty even humble CDP (mid-fi - ie below S$1000) can really show they stuff with good IC.

Power cords are another route - less bang for buck but if you intend to upgrade your components at some stage it's worth the expense.

blink.gif Ouch! Is it that ex?

I've not ventured into that territory yet, still keeping it below $1k.

ben was talking abt it it..

really makes me salivating..

I guess I need to start robbing and purchase a KS-1030 soon tongue.gif

I guess I need to start robbing and purchase a KS-1030 soon

LOL Blues tongue.gif

Rameish, even at that price is a bit expensive for me. Anyways I'm still holding back from looking into cables and power section as I want to settle down on a good source first and then look into a cable with good synergy in my system. rolleyes.gif

But after this experience I would certainly be more careful about cables I choose than before.

Rohit,

Kimber makes some that cost less. The KS-1030 is their top-of-the line RCA IC in their premuum range - the Kimber Select series.

I'm such a Kimber fan because they make no nonsense cables. From their simple but good PBJ (S$100 or S$110) to the Kimber Select series they all offer good value for the money. The only Kimber RCA that I have not heard throughly is the Kimber Hero.

the 2nd reason I'm such a Kimber fan is the price in Singapore - compared to most if not all other brands the sing price is a lot lower than what you would pay in their native land (US). Unlike other brands where you'll be fortunate if you paid the same price as where the cable originated from.

Firefox has been doing all sorts of braids with all sorts of RCA to come close but so far has not been successful.

Of course system synergy is important - you can ask Ray Kimber or his product manager for free advice. Just inform either of them in which direction you want to shift the tone, ambience and detail.

They are honest folks - I wanted to buy a KS-1030 for my DVD player but they told me not to and if I really had an upmarket DVD player go for the much cheaper KS-1010. He felt that the KS-1030 will reveal too many shortcomings of the DVD player that the enjoyment would be reduced.

www.kimber.com

blink.gif Ouch! Is it that ex?

It is. OTOH, it is also the most neutral cable I've heard aside from the AS-one's. The only problem is that the AS-one's are too slow for me. Although they're fine for most people who're less anal about speed than I am.

blink.gif Ouch!  Is it that ex?

It is. OTOH, it is also the most neutral cable I've heard aside from the AS-one's. The only problem is that the AS-one's are too slow for me. Although they're fine for most people who're less anal about speed than I am.

I'll bring the JPS FX to the next meet and compare notes, it should be interesting.

Kimber Kable is quite good. I managed to get a used pair of PBJ for $40. Great investment.

Nevertheless, if I had some $1000 to spare, I'll get myself equipment upgrades (speakers, amp, CDP) rather than a $1000 IC. I don't know... spending $1000 on two wires seems abit.. extreme. In my books, unless you are mad loaded and have a $10,000+ rig... spending $1000 on IC or other wires is overkill.

1) $1000 CDP + $1360 cables?

or

2) $2300 CDP + $60 cables?

Ceteris paribus, I will go for 2). I wont go for expensive cables until I know I've maxed my source/s (budget wise).

If those were the only two options available, I'll also go for (2). But perhaps a better combination would be $2,100 CDP + $360 cables. But I've never owned a $1000 CDP, let alone a $2000+ one. So I could be wrong.

But I suspect this "bean counting" is a bit too impratical. Best to trust your ears and attribute the cash as your ears dictate.

There's always the rule of diminishing returns. Spend on expensive cables by all means but only if your means are of higher threshold than the norm. Also come to terms with how discernible your ears are in a comparison eg. between Kimber Silver Streak, KCAG and the premium Select series. If you can't, then settle for less. On a final note, a superior cable (regardless of cost) will unveil both strength and weakness of your system and it's advisable to ensure the cable upgrade is justifiable.

Usually, a lesser system with equivalently priced accessories can sound better than the same system with highly transparent accessories. Depending on how deep your pockets are, ignorance is bliss.

There's always the rule of diminishing returns.  Spend on expensive cables by all means but only if your means are of higher threshold than the norm.  Also come to terms with how discernible your ears are in a comparison eg. between Kimber Silver Streak, KCAG and the premium Select series.  If you can't, then settle for less.  On a final note, a superior cable (regardless of cost) will unveil both strength and weakness of your system and it's advisable to ensure the cable upgrade is justifiable.

Usually, a lesser system with equivalently priced accessories can sound better than the same system with highly transparent accessories.  Depending on how deep your pockets are, ignorance is bliss.

Rameish, will check out the kimber cables when I'm ready to upgrade.

Good point there Mackie. rolleyes.gif

Edit: By the way yesterday I received my Tech+Link mini <-> RCA cables from Meier Audio to connect the Meta42 to the Pioneer player. So far they seem to be nice for the money but to early to make any judgements.

Edited by RawHit