Sign in to follow this  
nonons

HD600 on computer (Edited: grado sr-125)

will it be a waste of money if i get a senn HD600 and connect it to a computer to listen to music and play games? my HD270 just spoilt, and i guess i can't be borded to get it repaired.

a amp is also needed right? is there any good amps to recommand which is below $200? and where to get it?

Edited by nonons

Worth it - definitely no. Waste of money - depends.

I always recommend Beyerdynamic DT250-80(+/- $300) to people who run the headphone out of the pc soundcard. The beyer is slightly dark and warm with good bass, plus it plays mp3s well(many of hi-end phones ruthlessly reveal all the flaws in the mp3 compression). It has served me well for quite a no. of games last time : CS, Warcraft III, etc.

Still, if you want to run HD600 out of pc soundcard, you can - but you need to extend your budget as more need to be pumped to your new soundcard(preferably an M-audio Revo or something like RME Digi96/8 PST.

So it all boils down on your choice and how much $$ you're willing to spend. However I would advise you to try the Beyer dt250-80 before anything. In my experience, it sounds very good even with my yamaha soundcard(lappy integrated) as the source wink.gif

i dont think it's a waste of money, really. what matters is that you'd be getting something that offers a future path for upgrading.

however, i'd think that a hd600 would be pretty soft out of a soundcard's output.

My HD600 sounded quite ok out of my desktop but of course with some compromise.

The cheapest amp which sounds good with a HD600 is a RA1 clone. YMMV

Edited by lengcm

I get good results from my HD600 connected direct to my Dell Inspiron laptop. It sounds more spacious than the etys and I feel a greater sense of immersion into the game. Sure it ain't Hi-Fi, but as Adhoc mentioned, you can keep it for potential upgrades.

i guess i will just get the HD600 and use it on my Sony CMT-MD1 compact hi-fi.

does anyone knows if this sony player of mine is powerful enough to drive the HD600 WithOut an amp for the time being.

Are you sure about the Total airhead? That might be the upcoming Bithead. If I'm not mistaken the new TAH is still a line-out type headphone amp.

will it be a waste of money if i get a senn HD600 and connect it to a computer to listen to music and play games? my HD270 just spoilt, and i guess i can't be borded to get it repaired.

a amp is also needed right? is there any good amps to recommand which is below $200? and where to get it?

Go 4 it. very versatile cans, u will find that it's much more enjoyable than u 270. PC music & game? No prob, no need amp, for me, 50% vol from audigy1 is good enough, but if u want better from the cans, amp and a decent cdp are necessary. my -2cts.

after much consideration, i had gave up the thought about getting a HD600...

instead, i am thinking about getting a grado sr-125.

why?

easier on my wallet, amp is not compulsory, and i should be as satified as getting a HD600. cos my upgrade is from a HD270.

but one of my main problem now is. i have not much time left b4 my friend returns from singapore. and i have to make a decision quick. i cant try out any grados headphone over here in NZ, as i cant find a local shop that carries them. even sennheiser is hard to find...

so i need some help from the people here.

how does sr-125 fair? i've read from one of the thread here that this guy regreted buying his sr-125 without testing it out first. this really scares the hell out of me as in what happens if i dont like the headphone? i'm aware that its not very comfortable, but i guess thats alright once used to it.

some says that the sound is too "bright"... wacko.gif

can this word be expland by words?

any words of advice?

Edit: does anyone knows the dimension of the box that contains the Grado Sr-125?

tks

Edited by nonons

My Grado RS-1 box is approximately 360x270x70mm (LxWxD) so the SR-125's box shouldn't be bigger than that. Can't help you with how it sounds as I've only heard the SR-80 & RS-1 personally I do find both bright unamped, especially in the case of the SR-80.