Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

Picking The Right System For You

The cliche - different strokes for different folks - once again is rather apt when selecting audio equipment. This will be a work-in-progress sort thread. Based on a) price and cool.gif the one thing that different people must have in the overall music presentation that enables them to enjoy the music that little bit more. To some this one thing will be detail, others will find that mindrange purity or lushness suits them better, yet a third group of people will find that they need bass and so on.

Lets keep this thread to only good stuff that you have heard but may not be your cup of tea.

I would appreciate posts in this thread to go along the lines of:

For Example:

The One Thing this system does best is: bass

The total price of this system is S$2,000 if all equipment is bought new.

You can talk about how the system synergy was built up and where you took a wrong turn or two.

You can talk about your own system as well if you think you've found nirvana or feel that your system is close to nirvana but I would really like to hear from you about systems that does not meet your one thing but you feel could be another person's one thing.

I start this off with my current portable set up (so you see it doesn't need to be confined to expensive gear).

My favourite Portable Setup (Total System price of S$330)

Portable CDP - Panasonic SL-CT470 (approx S$245 when new) and Koss KSC-35 (approx S$85 from koss.com with shipping).

I love this setup however I have heard/owned portable setup that do cost much more but to me the one thing about a portable setup is portablity. The combo offers reasonably good sound without the need for an amplifier and can easily be tucked away.

Cons: Not as resolving as the Ety 4P (without amp) or the 4S (with a Porta Corda MKII). The Grado SR-80 or SR-60 with an Airhead came in second but because of my one thing being portablity they no longer belong the me. The Ety of course met the portability issue but my ear would itch for about 1/2 an hour after removing the ety and so that irritated me to no end.

Anyway for a low end system the Koss/Panasonic combo offers a nice is coloured presentation of the music. The somewhat thin sound out of a portable CDP was masked nicely by the less then resolving Koss KSC-35.

My favorite "budget" un-amped portable headphone rig:

1. Sony pcdp 330 with my Samsung in-ear that comes with my Yepp voice recorder. Great sound but the in-ear can only last as long as my itch tolerance to these plugs which is about 15 to 30 mins.

My favorite un-amped portable headphone rig:

1. Sony pcdp 330 + the ATH-W2002. This combo has the best synergy n musicality IMHO.

My favorite amped portable headphone rig:

1. Emmeline XP-7 with AD797 opamp + ATH-L3000. This is by-far the most natural sounding combo that I've heard ever, some of you out there might differ in option bout the L3000, but you can listen to this combo for hours without fatique n totally enjoying it. The details, bass xtension and mid is the best I've heard so far albeit a little bit soft on the highs(but it will definitely not bleed your ears).

My favorite headphone experience out of a "portable" radio:

1. The Tivoli PAL + a borrowed NOS "S$20" Sennheiser HD560 with stock cable courtesy of Barradio.

And yes it is not a typo, the HD560 is S$20 new, ask Rameish/Barradio for full story. rolleyes.gif

Currently thinkin bout addin a sub-woofer system to my speakers setup, just may be a REL Storm to start with. wink.gif

My favourite portable setup (Total system price S$1300)

NJB3 -> JMT Silver Mini - Mini -> Meta42 -> Ety 4S

Pros :

1) This is the setup for those who would who travel a lot for extended period of time (staying in hotels etc). Having a jukebox allows you to carry all your music without the bulk of cds

2) Etys make this a nice setup for the frequent flyers.

3) Meta 42 add the extra bit of SQ for those who don't mind the bulk.

4) Good resolution, great isolation

5) Makes a nice bed system as you dont bother your partner with headphones that leak.

Cons:

1) Too bulky for daily travel eg in MRTs, Buses

2) Not recommended for walking around. You dont want to get run over by a bus while taking a stroll.

3) Not recommended for situations where there lots of interruptions (frequent phone calls, colleagues wanting to discuss stuff etc). Etys not recommended for such situations. RS-1s though not my cup of tea might be just perfect here.

Replacements:

1) The source is the weakest link here. Add something like a PDAC (haven't heard) and this system might rival some nice home system.

2) RA-1, XP-7, PPA, Super Mini (havent heard these amps) may make a good replacement for meta42.

3) Shure E5c, E3c ?

thats all for now tongue.gif

My favourite Lower end mid-fi home system (approx S$1,500 - S$1,600)

Marantz CD6000 OSE (yup I had bout this baby for S$550 - that was the going price then)

Corda HA-1 MkI (S$525)

Beyerdynamic DT-931 (S$330)

Grado Singature IC (S$290)

Very nice home set-uo which I find can be improved in the top end (the Marantz's fault). Using a Kimber Silever Streak here makes the top end worse IMO, the cheaper Kimber PBJ fared better but with less detail.

Pros: Midrange is excellent here and there ample bass but not for bass freaks

Cons: Maybe a tad too laid backslow sounding for some esp the Grado brigade

This will be a work-in-progress sort thread. Based on a) price and cool.gif the one thing that different people must have in the overall music presentation that enables them to enjoy the music that little bit more.

Lets keep this thread to only good stuff that you have heard but may not be your cup of tea.

but I would really like to hear from you about systems that does not meet your one thing but you feel could be another person's one thing.

Hi Rameish

Just checking, this is only for stuff which you think "did not make it"?

Or is it for the evolution of one's source to audio nirvana?

what do ya'l think of iriver? (isn't the athl3000 a little expensive for portable use o_O)

CMK,

It's about stuff youve heard which sounds good but maybe it's your cup of tea as well as what you liked about any particualr system in your headphone hi-fi journery.

My favourite Mid end hi-fi home system (approx S$4,000 - S$4,500)

Consonance 1.1 24/196 upsampled ($800)

Sugden Headmaster ($1,400)

Sennheiser HD600 ($450)

Stefan Audioart Equinox Cable ($350)

Kimber Select KS1030 ($1,300) or Polaris Wireworld III ($500)

One of my favourite mid high end setup. However it only does wonders on certain type of music, i.e. New Age, Vocals and Jazz. One thing this setup lack is the bottom end. It does not go low enough and lack the slam for certain type of Jazz music. I would certainly say that this is a very polite setup. If one is looking for a very smooth and relaxed presentation, this would be the one. By using the Polaris Wireworld III interconncect, you will lose out certain details but not too much and slightly less "air" in its presentation.

Pros: midrange is very smooth here.

Cons: may lack the bottom end or slam on certain types of music or recording.

Edited by lengcm

My favorite high-end budget computer system...

Terratec EWX 24/96 (Now only $99 USD from JDsound, rrp is normally much more)

Perreaux SXH-1 ($350 - $500 USD depending on where its bought)

Sony MDR-CD3000 ($400 USD)

VDH The Bay C5 interconnect ($50)

So, this is a rig that can cost less than 1000 US dollars, but the sound for such a modest setup is surprising, and its particularly well suited for electronic music IMO. This setup has extended, detailed highs, which are smooth and well integrated, midrange is very smooth and realistic, and the bass has excellent extension and slam. In fact this system can slam like few other systems can at this price, without being too forward to enjoy other genres. Also very well suited for pop and rock, female vocals sound excellent too.

Pros: Smooth, extended treble, excellent mids for a closed can, and surprising amounts of bass slam

Cons: Softer music genres may benefit from a slightly gentler touch, but really a good all rounder

My current home favourite:

Rotel RCD-971 CDP -> Kimber Select 1020 -> Corda HA-1 -> Beyerdynamic DT-931/Sennheiser HD-600/ Beyer DT-880 (approx S$3,200)

Pros: Versatile to almost any kind of music except rock. I use the HD-600 for big band/classical music, DT-931 for Jazz/Folk/Celtic/Cuban :-), the DT-880 is for pop (my generation pop like Eagles, Elton John, Beetles)

Cons: Really needs a Grado for Rock (currently using a loaned SR-335)

My home setup:

Beyer DT-150

The Big Ben amp

Kimber Silver Streak 1m

Nad 541i

This combination gives speed, detail, and weight/impact/bass slam. Very intimate, upfront presentation, esp good with female vocals and rock. I've spent the past week comparing my sr80s and dt-150s and the beyers won in the end, primarily because of comfort, more detail and weight in the presentation, and its closed, which is more suitable for my listening environment. The higher impedance of the dt150 also allow me to turn the volume knob higher for finer volume control(I cannot go past 9 o'clock with Grados)

Fans of the Etymotics sound should like this setup(think Etys, with steriods for bass).If you prefer a laidback, warmer, more polite presentation, my setup is definitely not your cup of tea. wink.gif

Edited by av98m

My current home favourite:

Rotel RCD-971 CDP -> Kimber Select 1020 -> Corda HA-1 -> Beyerdynamic DT-931/Sennheiser HD-600/ Beyer DT-880 (approx S$3,200)

Pros: Versatile to almost any kind of music except rock. I use the HD-600 for big band/classical music, DT-931 for Jazz/Folk/Celtic/Cuban :-), the DT-880 is for pop (my generation pop like Eagles, Elton John, Beetles)

Cons: Really needs a Grado for Rock (currently using a loaned SR-335)

Can't the DT880 be used for rock?