Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

Grado SR80

hi, i have been using the grado sr80s for the last 6 months or so--the bowls although uncomfortable can be made tolerable if squished under a heavy weight - i squished mine under about 25kg of weight for about a week and that softened the hardness of the bowls. the senn pads are comfy but i prefer using them inverted, ie, with the original hole resting over the ears - you still have to make a hole in it to get it on the cup. by far the best upgrade was the flat pads.

my rating would be:

1 - flat pads

2 - senn pads but inverted

3 - bowls - note even when squished good and proper, the bowls still exhibit the same grittiness at the top end, which the senns and the flats smooth out nicely.

but ymmv. biggrin.gif

ps: anyone tried dyeing their yellow senn pads? what dye do you use? i tried dyeing mine with dylon -black and it turned army green w00t.gif well at least it isnt canary yellow tongue.gif

forgot to add that i tried the sock mod too as found over at headwize - it was a no go for me - the bass went all mushy and the mid bass more prominent - the highs didnt benefit either - but the mod was very comfortable but the trade off in sound was a bit too much.

hi, i have been using the grado sr80s for the last 6 months or so--the bowls although uncomfortable can be made tolerable if squished under a heavy weight - i squished mine under about 25kg of weight for about a week and that softened the hardness of the bowls. the senn pads are comfy but i prefer using them inverted, ie, with the original hole resting over the ears - you still have to make a hole in it to get it on the cup. by far the best upgrade was the flat pads.

my rating would be:

1 - flat pads

2 - senn pads but inverted

3 - bowls - note even when squished good and proper, the bowls still exhibit the same grittiness at the top end, which the senns and the flats smooth out nicely.

but ymmv. biggrin.gif

ps: anyone tried dyeing their yellow senn pads? what dye do you use? i tried dyeing mine with dylon -black and it turned army green w00t.gif well at least it isnt canary yellow tongue.gif

Are the flat pads u mentioned the ones from the SR60???

I like the pads from my previously owned SR60, find them more confortable.

Anyone know how much they cost??

i think i'll try dyeing the yellow pads, but the yellow pads also get quite warm right?

Are the flat pads u mentioned the ones from the SR60???

I like the pads from my previously owned SR60, find them more confortable.

Anyone know how much they cost??

ahgoh7, the SR60 comes with comfy pads, meaning there's no hole in the center of the earpads., Flat pads comes with a hole in the center, they look basically very similar to the yellow Senn earpads, except that they are black in color wink.gif

ahgoh - the flat pads are not the same as the comfy pads which come with the sr60s. the flat pads are i think sold only by todd at http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/

going @ us$30 apair

tropicalrips- yes they do after a while if used in the conventional manner - its a little better when inverted - i think because there's a little less of the foam that comes into contact with the ears when inverted.

i see..

tot the SR60 pads are the flat pads...

think i may consider getting the comfy pads...

shouldn't have any problem fitting in the SR80 right?

hi ahgoh - it should fit but you can mod it by making a hole in the centre which opens up the sound - cut enough to expose the round white netted area - the hole on my senn pads is about 1.75 " in diameter, find some object like a glass with that kind of diameter to work with - use a sharp cutter - take your time and you will have a perfect round hole . oh and make sure that the bottom of the pad has some support before you cut - i used a jam jar lid - look for the right size that fits nicely - you'll need a lot of support before you start cutting. that is if youre going to take this route. headphone.gif

I wouldn't cut that hole for the SR-60 as it lets thru even more brightness. Cut the holes on the comfy and use it for the SR-80.

anyone tried using their Grados in a lift? laugh.gif

i was surprise by how good they sounded when i was alone in the lift.

they sounded totally different, must be the small space and the isolation of the lift biggrin.gif

everything was much clearer and clean, heard details that i never knew was there lol.gif

i think the SR-80 is sounding better with my daily use grado.gif

The SR-80's are afterall open cans, they should sound better in quiet envrionments.